Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4 bolt wheel to 5 bolt conversion

Over in the "Subaru Retrofitting" forum, I found this:

USMB Regular

Re: Subaru EA82 to Subaru EJ205

"You can literaly use any front knuckle assembly off any newer subaru. They all have the same ball joint and strut mounting. You can even swap to 5on4.5 if you wanted if you used a knuckle of an SVX or a newer STI ha ha"

If the knuckle assys are interchangeable, why not just swap the hubs and be done with it?

Confused...

the wheel bearings are different.

4 lug= 2 wheel bearings per side.

5 lug= 1 per side.

not sure on the inside diameter.

the hubs use a different spline count and design.

the knuckles for an EJ or XT6 use the same ball joint (slightly larger than an EA82, you can re taper the ea82 control arm ball joint hole to accept an ej style ball joint), and strut mount style.

I have a set of XT6 front hubs/ brake assemblies for sale if you are interested...

in this thread,

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=128708

Theres quite a few threads and write ups about the swap, you just need to do a little more research in the Retrofit forum. If you use the EA82 lower control arm, you will need to enlarge the hole for the lower ball joint. Thats easier than trying to find a XT6 lower arm.

Theres quite a few threads and write ups about the swap, you just need to do a little more research in the Retrofit forum. If you use the EA82 lower control arm, you will need to enlarge the hole for the lower ball joint. Thats easier than trying to find a XT6 lower arm.

this... especially since then you need no XT6 parts for the front...

I am in a parts gathering phase.

it's not the EA/EJ knuckles that are interchangeable. it's that ANY EJ hub is swappable for any other EJ hub or is swappable with eh xt6 hub (except I hear EJ outer CVs don't exactly work with XT6 hubs). I see how the wording on that confused you though.

the wheel bearings are different.

4 lug= 2 wheel bearings per side.

5 lug= 1 per side.

not sure on the inside diameter.

the hubs use a different spline count and design.

the knuckles for an EJ or XT6 use the same ball joint (slightly larger than an EA82, you can re taper the ea82 control arm ball joint hole to accept an ej style ball joint), and strut mount style.

I have a set of XT6 front hubs/ brake assemblies for sale if you are interested...

in this thread,

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=128708

OK, this sounds reasonable, but if the hub splines are different, then the axle has to be changed as well as the knuckle, no?

(Growing fonder of 13" wheels by the day...)

personally, i don't want truck wheels.

i want to use any of the 15, 16, and 17 inch wheels that i have amassed for the rest of my fleet. so my 15" braids and gravel tires, my 16" rs wheels and dz101's, and my 17" rota track wheels when i'm feeling froggy.

of course i don't want my brat raised up. i actually have it sitting perfectly on gl sedan shocks.

maybe i'm weird, but i don't go mudding in my brat.

If the knuckle assys are interchangeable, why not just swap the hubs and be done with it?

Confused...

on EA82's the fronts are the easy part, it's the rear that's the more difficult part of the conversion in terms of finding the parts. EJ's are not at all an option in the rear.

dealing with axles isn't that big of a deal is it? if you're swapping all the hubs and converting the rears....figuring out an axle solution to whatever you choose seems like a drop in the bucket?

i hear you on wheels - i have a bunch of sets of wheels and rotate them all over the place.

What are you trying to do? Why not do a 6-lug conversion/

Mainly, because I haven't a clue. What's involved in that conversion?

The whole idea of different diameter wheels is improve the variety of tires available, not a lot of selection in 13" tires..