Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just an idea (New gen fuel mileage)

I think we all know that the mpg threads are going to be getting more and more frequent as Jack Frost tightens his icy grip.

Perhaps instead of flaming everyone coming on here for not using the archaic search function, we should compile some guru knowledge into a sticky? What causes poor mpg, how to diagnose it, how to fix it, etc etc.

I for one, had no idea that a bad coolant temp sensor could cause a richened fuel mixture if it reads the engine as being cold all the time. Makes total sense when you think about it of course, but not many people correlate these things.

What say ye?

Or am I just...:horse:?

I'd start by saying to check for codes, check your knock sensor condition, and check your coolant temp sensor.

• 2 weeks later...

Winter blend fuel sometimes can account for a slight but sudden dip in fuel economy. Tire pressures if not adjusted can drop 3 psi or more and eat up fuel economy.

The engine coolant temp sensor, at least on ODBII and later, if it is far to inaccurate (as in not getting above about 150F), will eventually give a code for temperature insufficient for closed loop operation.