Ultimate Subaru Message Board

opinions?

Alright i have a 91 loyale wagon 4x with 235-75-15's. I was thinking about rebuilding the 1.8. I was wonderin what some opinions would be on rebuilding the 1.8 or should i look for an ej to swap in. also if i did the ej swap i see alot of people going to a manual trans. Mine is the 3 speed auto and id kinda like to keep it. Anyway opinions, rebuild vs. Swap?

I knew keeping the 3at was gonna be a bad idea. Id hate to get rid of it cause its only got about 20000 on a rebuild. id love more power tho. i remember someone somewhere said the 3at couldnt handle more power. so if i did the swap keeping it wouldnt be a good idea. So what would be the suggestions on the ej and trans?

Ok i just read numbchux write up on the ea to ej swap. The way i read it, it sounds like im gonna have some parts off a couple different cars. If i use ej motor and trans will i have to use different spindles. Since the ea is splined differently. Also cross members. Can i just use the cross memebers off the ej car?

Believe me, with those tires you're running, you'll love having both an EJ22 and a dual range trans. I just finished mounting my 235/75r15's this weekend, and am very glad that I don't have the stock motor. At 80mph in 5th gear I'm only doing 3000rpm.

is the 1.8 dead?

I mean if it ain't broke...

I think the head is taking a crap on me. Either that or the intake gasket. I put new intake gaskets on about 3 months ago and i noticed yesterday that there was some antifreeze around the intake. I snugged those bolts down. I pulled the hose off the driverside head and noticed it was full of what looked like oily milk. Im pretty sure that stuff came from water being in the head.

Believe me, with those tires you're running, you'll love having both an EJ22 and a dual range trans. I just finished mounting my 235/75r15's this weekend, and am very glad that I don't have the stock motor. At 80mph in 5th gear I'm only doing 3000rpm.

As far as swappin in the ej. How hard is it to put in the mt? Also am i correct on needing an xt and a legacy?

Are you referring to the EA82 dual range 5 speed, or the EJ AWD 5 speed?

The EJ trans will swap straight across, but I think you'll need the driveshaft shortened. The EA trans will just need an adaptor plate, and probably a new clutch while you're at it.

Ok since you are now talking about swapping in a manual transmission, do that swap first, get it buttoned up and then swap in the EJ. You will need a few things for the manual swap but it's very easy to do. You will need...

Manual transmission

Clutch kit, flywheel and the flywheel bolts, not the ones for the flex plate (AT cars) as they are shorter then the flywheel bolts

Pedal cluster. Easy to remove and install if the steering column is removed as well

Driveline as it is longer then the 4eat but is still longer then the 3at I believe

Shifters, boot and interior trim if you care

Crossmember

Clutch cable

Speedometer cable as it is different then the autos

Gauge cluster, again if you care

Only thing you will need to do electrically is put a jumper wire in the 6 pin plug (might be 8) that plugs into the stock auto shifter assembly on the two largest wires that go into it. These are for the neutral safety switch which is located in the shifter assembly. You can also run these two wires to a hidden switch for a "kill" switch if desired.

Do the EJ swap first.

The trans will hold up[ fine for a while.

If you go with an EJ18, you'll have better power and torque than your current engine.

Cheaper, less likely to break the 3at, and easily upgradeable later to 2.2

look for an old beat up body impreza.

Do the EJ swap first.

The trans will hold up[ fine for a while.

If you go with an EJ18, you'll have better power and torque than your current engine.

Cheaper, less likely to break the 3at, and easily upgradeable later to 2.2

look for an old beat up body impreza.

Thats what im looking for. Power and torque. Which is better of an engine? Ej18 or ej22? I know the ej22 is gonna be "bigger" but which is more durable. Ive put a heck of a beating on the ea82!

Manual transmission

Clutch kit, flywheel and the flywheel bolts, not the ones for the flex plate (AT cars) as they are shorter then the flywheel bolts

Pedal cluster. Easy to remove and install if the steering column is removed as well

Driveline as it is longer then the 4eat but is still longer then the 3at I believe

Shifters, boot and interior trim if you care

Crossmember

Clutch cable

Speedometer cable as it is different then the autos

Gauge cluster, again if you care.

Ok im gonna start workin on this list of parts. Anyone think of anything else? Oh and if someone happens to be selling any of these items feel free to pm me