Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can't identify the coolant leak!

Hello all,

Have read some posts on here before and many were helpful. I now have a new problem.

Let me give you a brief history of my "white elephant":

I have a 2003 Legacy 5 Door that has given me nothing but problems since I bought it used in 2007.

I had the head gaskets replaced and the heads decked in 2009, had the entire coolant system replaced last year and have been through about 4 or 5 thermostats during the entire process.

I had been having an overheat issue for a while and decided a few weeks ago to just replace the thermostat myself since none of my local mechanics seem to know what they're doing and the local Scooby dealer has a notoriously bad reputation.

Well the overheat issue was fixed instantly, my anti-freeze flow reverted back to normal, but now that I have proper flow I have a new leak...a leak so bad that I can smell it while driving and I have had to completely fill the reservoir twice in about the last week and a half.

The leak seems to be coming from the section of the engine that is directly under the air box ( I don't know what it's called since I'm not 100% engine savvy but I believe it's some sort of manifold), running out and down the left head, and dripping all over the oil pan, etc. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chemical

Scoobyleak0012.jpg

Scoobyleak0032.jpg

Edited by CHEMICAL

SOHC EJ25's from your era need to have the Subaru coolant conditioner put in every time you change the coolant. If the leak is real bad you can use two bottles.

Looks like you have classic drivers side HG weepage. Pretty typical. Put in two bottles of the stop leak conditioner and it should take care of the problem. Don't forget to add it every time you change the coolant.

Either that or you have a pin-hole leak in one of the throttle body heater hoses. Since you are saying it's coming from the top of the engine that's a real possibility.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Check the heater hoses where they connect to the bypass and crossover pipes right on top of the block, and the small hose that attaches to the bottom of the throttle body.

The air box removes fairly easy, removing that will give you more room to figure out where the leak is.

I'd think it's one of the smaller hoses too. If you can't find it and don't just wanna start replacing hoses.

If it's tough to see I'd spend a few bucks and get a kit at the auto parts. The one with the dye and black light. Helps a lot in situations like this and cheaper than a trip to a garage.

If you were local you could borrow mine.

Check the heater hoses where they connect to the bypass and crossover pipes right on top of the block, and the small hose that attaches to the bottom of the throttle body.

The air box removes fairly easy, removing that will give you more room to figure out where the leak is.

I was thinking this exact same thing. I was actually sizing up the air box today and thinking about removing it. Might get to it tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your input. :headbang:

Edited by CHEMICAL

+1 check hoses

also, on your thermostat woes, replace what is in there with a DEALER subaru OEM thermostat. Almost every aftermarket brand of T-stat is made in israel pakistan etc. The part stores sell them as "oem quality replacements" My left foot... Go with japanese OEM and if your dealer sucks, order it from another dealer and have it shipped. After all the crap I have been through, I WILL NOT buy another parts house TSTAT. Even my ford truck just got a motorcraft tstat.

Stant is now offering an "Xactstat" for Subaru. Part number 48457. Looks exactly like OEM. Probably made by Tama.

http://www.amazon.com/Stant-48457-XACTStat-Fahrenheit-Thermostat/dp/B001FFY334

And rockauto.com has them for $11.04. They include the gasket. With a discount code that's $10.48. I toss them in with my order and it doesn't affect shipping much.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Removed the air box today. Looked at every possible angle that I could, even with a mirror, and did not see any hoses leaking anywhere. Stopped at Subaru today and bought 2 bottles of their stop leak. Hopefully they do the trick. I'm hoping it's not the worst case scenario that my head gaskets are bad again because I definitely can't afford another head gasket job. Also, hopefully there isn't a crack involved...that would suck.

I just can't imagine that the head gasket would be leaking this much...I mean...there is a steady drip dripping down all over the tie rods, differentials, off the bottom of the oil pan, etc.

Edited by CHEMICAL

Do you know what HG's were used or did the garage up the street do it with whatever the local chain parts store supplied?

Hopefully the Hott's helps

Not sure what gasket they used but I do know that since they had the heads decked it probably shaved off the little posts that keep everything in place during reassembly.

Not sure what gasket they used but I do know that since they had the heads decked it probably shaved off the little posts that keep everything in place during reassembly.

The alignment dowels on the EJ engines are in the form of tubes that surround two of the head bolt holes and are located on the block side. Decking (resurfacing) the heads would not have any effect on gasket alignment. When the block's are resurfaced the alignment tubes are removed and then replaced after the process.

GD

if they used chain store gaskets, they could possibly be leaking. OEM only one the headgaskets

GD, thanks for the info, I used to use stant's on my old chevys that the dealer didn't stock anymore. Im glad to know they decided to make some quality tstats to fill the market void

The alignment dowels on the EJ engines are in the form of tubes that surround two of the head bolt holes and are located on the block side. Decking (resurfacing) the heads would not have any effect on gasket alignment. When the block's are resurfaced the alignment tubes are removed and then replaced after the process.

GD

Ah thanks, that's a relief.

I would look hard at your water bypass pipe.

It is a thin tube that goes from the water pump to a heater hose with a t that goes to the throttle body.

You can get a pinhole especially at the t junction and if small will only leak under pressure.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b12/type_14/cooling_system/

O.

I will look at that next, thanks. The thing is that there is absolutely no coolant anywhere on top of the engine...I only see it leaking down underneath.

Edited by CHEMICAL