Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Brat question

By owning an 81 brat and researching it seems that the internet saids that brats are either a GL or DL series. (as far as i know) 1977-81 the brat does not state the its a GL or DL and all the brats 82-86 are clearly a marked on the back as GL.

My question is my 81 Brat simply a DL because it does not state that its a GL or did Subaru just do this to mess with me.

also im looking for clean, not cracked dashboard for said 81 Brat.

Thank you Anon.

Edited by Beef22

just found some information saying that the DL has 2 headlights and the GL has four, that cant be the only difference, can it?

source: http://www.northursalia.com/brat/specifications/

Dl no tach, lacking options/optionless

Gl tach, lots of standard option

go here: http://www.indysworld.com/80s/

then go down to the middle, and click brochures. or c;ick to left and go to specifications, or else just click them all and remember what you are reading.

Edited by bheinen74

DL/GL doesn't really apply to first gen's as much as it does second gen's. In the first gen years from 77 to 80 - Brat was just plain Brat. With the introduction of the D/R in 81 they did have GL models of the Brat with the 1.8 and D/R transmission. If your's has a 1.6 and a single range tranny then it's a DL.

Good luck on the dash hunt. People have searched for those for decades and not found a single one. You'll have better luck if you start looking at your restoration options.

GD