Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What should i buy for my 87gl

individual wrenches or sockets, only really need to have size

10mm

12mm

14mm

17mm you can get by for most not needing this size, need for oil drain plug

19mm you can get by for most not needing this it is usually only needed for suspension stuff

get "6 point sockets" in 3/8 drive in those sizes, and get box end wrenches in those sizes.

** do not get 12 point**

** do not get 1/4 in drive, too whimpy for tight stuff

no need to get an entire set, you don't really need other sizes for subarus for most stuff.

If you do not have a good vice grips, add that.

Edited by bheinen74

for 44 bucks, that set would be good if you are starting out,,,,

although that set is nice, like over half the stuff in a set you will never need on a subaru. You will never need any standard/sae, you only need metric/mm

You are much better off sticking to the sizes above, and the vice grips will help in sizes you don't have or need much, like the occasional 8mm, etc.

get a good phillips screw driver, smaller one, and a medium one.

A 22mm socket or wrench would be wise. Or one of each. The crank case pulley bolt and the transmission drain bolt are both 22mm. I think the clutch fan and cam shafts have a flat spot on them that are 22mm as well.

I also keep a roll of masking tape, a pencil (both for marking/tagging), a flashlight, a pocket knife, a few feet of string, a pack of bubble gum, and a jb weld 'set' in my car for emergencies/random needs.

Edited by man on the moon

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00934118000P?mv=rr

so not that? haha

i wanted a block heater cause it gets freaking cold here but they only had one for $100.

I have a tow strap, work gloves, vice grips, phillips, flat head, needle nose, spark plug socket.

good luck using that link to buy one.

classic, as figured, bait and switch, not available, etc. no way anyone will get one for that price. either local or online, bait and switch i say. go ahead, try it. try to get one.

good luck using that link to buy one.

classic, as figured, bait and switch, not available, etc. no way anyone will get one for that price. either local or online, bait and switch i say. go ahead, try it. try to get one.

ahaha i am just going to go into sears. but yeah we will see.

Good lord! What the hell are you going to use that on? You'll kill yourself - that thing will snap like a twig and impale you to the shop wall. Then who's going to be my only EA82 customer?!? :lol:

GD

Hubs man, Hubs, I was getting tennis elbow swinging at that hub with a 3 pound hammer like it was a tennis ball.

and if I impale myself into the wall taking off the other side, you'll find me at your house in a body cast asking you to finish the job ...... the car, not me ....

I was able to get one today. And got a raincheck for another set when they come back in stock.

DSCF0015.jpg?t=1325035375

I will probably sell the SAE portion on Craigs/ebay to cover my expenses.

I don't think you can sell dogs on ebay dude. Whether they're standard OR metric. :banana:

Hubs man, Hubs, I was getting tennis elbow swinging at that hub with a 3 pound hammer like it was a tennis ball.

and if I impale myself into the wall taking off the other side, you'll find me at your house in a body cast asking you to finish the job ...... the car, not me ....

A three jaw puller workes just as well for the hubs, and is around $10 (EDIT: guess they're $20 now, just use a coupon) at HF if I recall correctly. You'll need a 19mm/3/4" (19mm = 3/4") socket, wrench, lug-wrench, an adjustable wrench, pliers, vice-grips, a pipe-wrench, or an iron-grip:lol:.

@bheinen74 That set will do you well to start. You should probably get a set of combination wrenches, as that set is pretty limited. I'd hold onto the SAE, they can come in handy for non-soobs (furniture, older American vehicles, and 90's USA stuff used a mix of SAE and Metric :banghead:). If you don't have an adjustable wrench, get one. Sometimes you need two of the same wrench, and don't have two. And a hammer, get a nice, big hammer.

Edited by Dj7291993

A three jaw puller workes just as well for the hubs, and is around $10 (EDIT: guess they're $20 now, just use a coupon) at HF if I recall correctly. You'll need a 19mm/3/4" (19mm = 3/4") socket, wrench, lug-wrench, an adjustable wrench, pliers, vice-grips, a pipe-wrench, or an iron-grip:lol:.

@bheinen74 That set will do you well to start. You should probably get a set of combination wrenches, as that set is pretty limited. I'd hold onto the SAE, they can come in handy for non-soobs (furniture, older American vehicles, and 90's USA stuff used a mix of SAE and Metric :banghead:). If you don't have an adjustable wrench, get one. Sometimes you need two of the same wrench, and don't have two. And a hammer, get a nice, big hammer.

yeah +1 on the BFH. lol

yeah +1 on the BFH. lol

+2 on the BFH, or a ball peen/flat face combo and a rubber or plastic mallet if you have cash left over.

If you STILL have cash left over...I...oh there is a long list of tools that come in handy. A multi-meter, wire brush, battery terminal cleaner, wire stripper/crimper, dykes (cutters, not a girl), heater hose adapter thingy for flushing the cooling system, torque wrench...maybe just walk around the tool aisle(s)/bins of your local parts store and eyeball things that fit your budget.

I like my crftsman ************ tools now i have my dads in this pic, and the wall tool rack goes about 9 feet more to the right, and they are all snap on/ mac, and then there are 5 more tool chests.... of tools as well. I just like having someof my own for normal engine swaps etc.

IMGA1593.jpg?t=1319507685

I think the basic mechanic really only needs craftsman, or other. Hell my cheap china brand socket took off the stubborn bolt just as easy as a craftsman. I dont feel like digging in the shed for the good tools. I just go with what i have around. That being said, if your more then a shadetree mechanic i think you would need something more. I have never needed anything more then a set of craftsman tools and some specility tools i get at the dealership or parts store.