Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm pretty new to my 95 Subaru Legacy outback L 5MT. And actually cars in general. I'm not afraid to do any work that doesn't require lifting the engine (due to lack of the tool). I've replaced timing belt, water pump, power steering pump, remote starter.

Basically how hard is it to put a turbo in my car? I'm not totally doing it for speed or efficiency or the cool factor. I just like to learn about cars and I think installing a turbo on my own would be an awesome learning experience.

What parts would I need and where would be a good place to get them? Would it be a good idea to go to a junkyard and get a bunch of parts from a WRX?

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdetails/TOMEI/Turbos/Turbo_Kits/ARMS/14799

This looks like it would work, but I can't help but think that not all of the parts needed are included.

Those are turbo *upgrade* kits for engines that already have a turbo, intercooler, proper exhaust, boost management, etc.

Sure you could do it - figure on spending about $3k on used parts and engine management. Then you will be limited to about 200 HP on around 4 to 6 psi of boost. The high-comp. EJ22 turbo builds that people have done on NASIOC haven't proven very reliable. Don't expect it to last more than a few years if it doesn't blow up the first week.

Or you could spend less than $1k and do a high compression EJ25 that will drop right in. Last one I built was $700. They make about 190 HP and gobs of torque and have proven quite reliable even up to 12:1 compression. You just get an EJ25 short-block and put your existing heads and manifold on it. Depending on the block you use the compression will be anwhere from 10.5 to 11.7.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Replacing the pistons is too much work for too little gain on the EJ22. I'm not sure that high-comp pistons are even availible for that bore size. It would be a waste of time.

We don't do it that way. We put small (40cc) combustion chamber heads on the EJ25's which had larger combustion chamber heads from the factory (around 50 to 55cc). This increases the compression without costly piston upgrades.

Do a search for "frankenmotor".

GD

You can turbo a non-turbo subaru but you need to be handy with tools and fabrication. Instead of swapping the crossmember people build an up pipe that bolts to the collector where the cat used to and a down pipe that runs pretty much parallel to it to go back down around the axle.

Higher boost than 6psi is possible, but you need to familiarize yourself with water/meth injection.

There's a lot involved in swapping a turbo onto a car, but it's possible if you can fabricate parts on your own and understand how the system is meant to work. I did a honda civic in a week with $125 using a junkyard Saab turbo.