Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Phase 1 4EAT with phase 2 TCU

Numbchux

Well I believe either way, something is going to throw a code most likely, either the TCU or the ECU, so choose which one you would want to throw a code. I would rather have the TCU throw codes rather than the ECU, so I would use the Outback TCU and make it work with the phase 1 trans, so that the outback ECU is happy. I would also check the FSM for symptoms that might cause the TCU to go into Limp Mode and make sure you can connect up those sensors that might cause the TCU to go into limp mode.

Another thing though you might want to check is that the pinouts are the same between the TCU's. Since one is OBDI and the other OBDII, they might have changed the pinouts on the TCU, so you might have to resplice some of those connections to make it work.

Hmmmm... You mentioned that the outback is a 3.0, that changes things a little bit, maybe. I know the older TCU code uses a divider/multiplier to figure out the RPM singal for either the 4 or the h6 so it can calculate when to shift and for the AWD, so you might be stuck with the phase 2 tcu since it will have the proper RPM code for the h6. Keep in mind that my info is based off of phase 1 info, but I really don't see that logic changing too much over the years. Something else to think about...

If you get this working, you might be the first to do it.

I also remember reading on one of the aussie subaru boards of someone trying to do this. I think that "el_freddo" post a link a few months back about the guys project here on USMB. I think that it involved a forester. Might want to look into that and see what happened with that project.

Edited by eulogious

This is not a street car. So I couldn't care less if it throws codes, as long as it doesn't effect functionality.

I should have mentioned. I have a Tach Signal Divider, that will correct the 6- vs 4-cylinder rpm signal problem.

We're thinking we'll run the outback trans until we blow it, and put some $$$ into building the SS trans for the time being.

BUT, I just realized, that AFAIK, the newer TCUs did not have any sort of manual mode. This could be a problem, unless we can find a manual valve body of some sort for it.

Also, Eulogious, this is the same project car that I pm'd you about earlier this year....

Edited by Numbchux

Ahhh, still trying to get that bad boy working eh? I take it you couldn't use the paddles due to regulations or something?

I didn't even think about the manual mode, and you are right. They did take that out with the newer stuff. But like I said, you should be able to run the phase 1 TCU if you don't care about codes. I believe that nothing changed with the addition of OBDII except a few more sensor wires and what not, but nothing having to do with the actual operation of the trans itself. So I would try using the phase I TCU and see what happens. At least then you would have the manual mode.