Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AWD Question... Adjustment? Repair?

Hi,

I have owned lots of 4wd vehicles in the past but this 2003 Legacy wagon is my first Sub. We live in a very icy snowy area. I am disappointed so far in the AWD system on my wagon. When I get into a slippery situation I get a lot of front wheel spin (and loss of steering control) before the rear drive engages and the car gets some grip on the road. Should I have a noticeable lag in the rear engaging like that? Is it adjustable? How 'bout wiring in an override switch for the rear?

Any and all advice would be appreciated!

Edited by TCBeard27

Assumng it's an automatic, putting the gear selecter in 1st or 2nd will start you off with a 50/50 split of power front to rear. 2nd also starts you out in 2nd gear which also helps with initial spinning. If you still feel a clunk in the rear it could be a viscous limited slip rear engaging if so equipped.

You can add a switch to lock it in true 4wd. This description is for an older car, so the wiring pinout/colours might not be the same. But the concept is the exact same. Worth a read.

If you're half way decent with wiring it shouldn't be too bad.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f8/t99075-4eat-diff-lock-switch-handbrake-mod-torquemada-lite.html

typically, the electronics do not cause or contribute to a slow to engage power to the rear. i think it is usually a mechanical issue in the transfer clutch. grooves worn into the in the clutch drum by the clutch plates for instance causing it to hang up.

the 4wd locked switch or shifting into 1 or 2 before you need it will give you a 50 / 50 split sooner rather than later. WOT is supposed to do the same thing.

I don't know for sure, but I think changes made around the 2000 MY made the AWD not as great as it used to be as far as transferring power to the rear. It doesn't seem to be as eager to transfer to the rear anymore, not like the 90's models. But of course it could be the clutch pack is getting worn out.