Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PLEASE Advise-2002 OBS Overheating

Here’s all the info and observations:

Bled all (as best as I can tell) air out of cooling system; added Subaru coolant conditioner per instructions along with proper coolant/H2O mix.

Car runs at normal operating temperature at idle – in the lower part of the middle on the coolant temp gauge in the car, just above the lower line. I Ran it for 30-45 minutes at idle and revved motor to around 3k for 5-10 minutes during the 30 minutes – no change to gauge.

No smell or sign of coolant at exhaust.

Drove car and about 3 miles in, temp started climbing; around 5 miles it started to cross above the line into the top range, approaching the red.

Pulled over, put car in park at let it idle while I watched the gauge; temp returned to the ‘normal’ range just above the lower line on the gauge. Revved motor again with no apparent changes.

Started driving again…repeat of above. Ugh. One more time and same results, reached the house and parked it running, temp returned to ‘normal’ again. Left car running, opened the hood and checked radiator overflow – coolant level was near the top. Hoses were hot to touch but not too hot to hold, top of radiator was less hot and top of radiator cap was warmish to the touch.

Smelled hot coolant on driver’s side of the motor, nothing on passenger side.

No apparent leaks, car underside and driveway were dry.

Turned car off, came back after a couple of hours and it was cooled enough to open radiator cap, level appeared normal, coolant overflow tank returned to normal level.

My guess is head gasket on the driver’s side…and yet where would the exhaust gasses enter the coolant if the leak is most likely to the outside (my assumption that is what’s causing the overheating)?

Lastly, the car has 216+k miles, still runs really well, doesn’t use any oil or leak oil, regularly gets over 27mpg in town (!) and is still in otherwise great shape…help, help, help, please…

Do I keep it, pull the heads and do the gaskets or would it be better as someone else’s problem? I’m stuck and unwilling to pay someone else 2-3k to do the work…it’s my college daughter’s only transportation.

Also, heat works fine so I'm assuming the t-stat isn't thr problem...

Edited by methusalah
add more info

Sounds like the radiator is partially plugged to me. Only overheats under load = insufficient coolant flow across the radiator or insufficient heat rejection from the radiator. Look for cold spots in the radiator and also check how many leaves and pine needles are between the radiator and the AC core as well as the condition of the fins and tubes.

A restricted thermostat is a possibility - one that isn't opening as far as it should..... you should get a replacement from the dealer or one of the Stant Xactstat's as mentioned in my recent thread.

GD

No, I didn't try that...I figured since it was putting out heat from the heater that it was working...sounds like I should at least give that a try, huh?

My first concern was , that you had installed a non-Subaru t'stat. They are known to be problematic. Supposedly, Stant just recently began offering an Xacstat, made to be a precise soob replacement. But I don't think there's much experience with it yet.

You could try one from the Dealer, but, like you say, seems like it may be working. At 216K - is it time for a timing belt/tensioner/etc.? maybe the belt is dragging on the water pump???

What prompted you to do this work in the first place? was there cooling problems before?

Car overheated on my daughter last week; she had it towed to the house. I'll have to check the records on it again but PO had all service done at dealer, on schedule. I bought the car with around 170k because all of the services and the excellent condition of the car despite the high miles; here in AZ, driving a long ways is routine - it's 150 or so miles between Tucson and Phoenix for example. If I remember correctly the PO had the timing belt stuff done around 160k or so...it may be ready for another belt, h2o pump etc. service...I need to check to see exactly when it was done and what all was repaired/replaced. I'll check the radiator and t-stat like suggested. I'm just a bit concerned about the coolant smell by the driver's side of the motor...might be a small leak somewhere other than the HG's?