Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hi people

i live in massachussets and recently browsing craigslist for a daily driver and came across a 1993 subaru ss. i contacted the seller and he said that the car has a grounding problem causing no spark and no fuel.

he sent me some pics and the car does look decent. i browsed some subie forums and i see this a common issues with subarus.

should i be really worried about getting the car with this problem? my main issue would be the price of the parts and availability than putting time into it.

am heading down to see the car some time next week what other common trouble spots should i look into?

the AWD would be awesome for new england weather thats why am seriously considering this car

thanks

Auto transmission? If it is, it's probably smoked or will be soon. The "grounding issue" may be a ruse to cover this.

Rust in the rocker panels starting at the rear wheel wells and above the rear bumper at the rear wheel wells.

They are fun cars, but don't expect turbo-subaru power out of them without a lot of modification.

ill check for the rust and other stuff when i go see it next week. how available are the parts for this model? the car is a 5 speed and has an upgraded turbo but i have no specifics and will have a better idea once i see it

thanks for the replies

I recant some.

There is a couple factory ground wires attached to the front by the battery, the strap goes to a bolt on the radiator support above te headlight on the driver side. sometimes the star washer there corrodes and needs cleaned to bare metal on the support.

also, there is a couple of grounding wires to the shock tower supports that corrode the same. clean them up to bare metal and good to go, that is the isue.

If the owner of a car cannot clean these up with a wire brush, then they do not deserve to own one, and a seller who cannot do this even, has probably failed at other basic maintenance too, like oil changes, tire pressure, etc.

ill check for the rust and other stuff when i go see it next week. how available are the parts for this model? the car is a 5 speed and has an upgraded turbo but i have no specifics and will have a better idea once i see it

thanks for the replies

If it's a 5spd and the rockers aren't rotted out, it's probably worth getting.

Main problems with those is rubber hoses cracking. The PCV hoses and all coolant hoses will break if you touch them. The composite plastic coolant tank on the intake manifold is probably ready to disintegrate if it hasn't been replaced yet.

All these parts are available from the dealer.

Best place to ask about turbo legacys is http://bbs.legacycentral.org/

this is just my very limited opinion, but if the sellers knows what is wrong with the car, bad ground, why hasn't he corrected it. this sounds like a guess to me. a plausible explanation but support by no real facts. and how many times have we heard of a bad ground disabling a car.

if you buy it, base your decision on the fact that it does not run and nothing the seller SAYS. he may be right, but i doubt it.

assume the worst case, what could be wrong with the car and how much to fix it. this is the only way you can be sure you will not be burned.

this is just my very limited opinion, but if the sellers knows what is wrong with the car, bad ground, why hasn't he corrected it. this sounds like a guess to me. a plausible explanation but support by no real facts. and how many times have we heard of a bad ground disabling a car.

if you buy it, base your decision on the fact that it does not run and nothing the seller SAYS. he may be right, but i doubt it.

assume the worst case, what could be wrong with the car and how much to fix it. this is the only way you can be sure you will not be burned.

I have the same opinion as John eggleston. I too, am very suspicious of a seller who won't spend the money or time to fix what he says is a bad ground.

Since the car doesn't run, it really only has limited value, and should be sold as a "parts car," at near scrap pricing. However, I am guessing the seller is not doing this. What price has he put on a non running car?? Be very wary of this seller!

correction, the ''asking'' price is $800.

For what it is worth.........a friend of mine who owns a foreign wrecking yard, recently said that any car, running or not running, he will buy for a minimum of $400. With that in mind, a non running 93 is worth maybe $500 imo.

Doubt it but most of the assumptions put on here seem very reasonable to me. Everyone is cautioning the poster that someone just saying "grounding issue" may or may not just be a guess and go in being a skeptic rather than an optimist. Seems like good advice to me. Also nobody is telling the OP not to go check it out either.

For what it is worth.........a friend of mine who owns a foreign wrecking yard, recently said that any car, running or not running, he will buy for a minimum of $400. With that in mind, a non running 93 is worth maybe $500 imo.

A junker price and the price for a non-running 93 SS do not compare. Even if it doesn't run the parts list is worth far more than $500.00. The core engine alone is worth that!