Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have had "what is this worth" arguments before too and it seems like different locations have MAJOR factors on the going rate of subarus. I think price is probably fair but it looked like the prospective buyer was a little concerned about how difficult it would be to keep this as a daily driver. Obviously this will be a better deal to someone with mechanical skills then someone who is going to have to rely on a dealership to make repairs.

A junker price and the price for a non-running 93 SS do not compare. Even if it doesn't run the parts list is worth far more than $500.00. The core engine alone is worth that!

Sure - but time and labor to dissasemble it and sell it for those top-dollar parts prices have to be considered as well. And I would and did argue that if it cannot be shown to run then any wise buyer MUST assume the worst and consider the drivetrain to be completely shot. ALL you can consider at that point is the cosmetic condition of the vehicle. And a '93 SS in cosmetically perfect condition without it's drivetrain is worth about $500 or less in sheet metal and interior bits.

My personal SS was bought with "bad head gaskets" and was unable to be started and run for the buyer (not me). He paid $1500 for it and only after pulling the engine did he find that it was a complete boat anchor. It had been ran till it seized and the pan was 1/2" deep with sludge and metal shavings. The block couldn't be saved - melted out a section of a piston liner. Total loss.

If the seller wants more than scrap prices for the car then the burden of proof on the condition of the drivetrain is in his court. Or he has to find a sucker - which is not that hard actually! It just aint gonna be me :).

GD

My point was and will continue to be...

tell the OP what he should look for when purchasing a car. Be it a Mazda or SS Legacy. You do not need to make assumptions about buyers/sellers character. You know neither of them and realistically can not make that assumption.

A junker price and the price for a non-running 93 SS do not compare. Even if it doesn't run the parts list is worth far more than $500.00. The core engine alone is worth that!

I will stay with my original post that this non running car is not worth more than $500. Sure, if you took the time to part it out, you could get more. That is what wrecking yards are in the biz to do. However, I think most everyone doesn't have the room to store a parts car, or the time to disassemble and sell parts.

I recently sold a cooked 2.5 motor to a wrecking yard. All they would give me for it was $35. in salvage value. I bought a '95 EJ-22 motor from a different yard for $400. Hard for me to believer a core engine (in who knows what condition it's in) is worth $500. Just my humble opinion!

any core ej22t i worth 500 all day long, all year long. I have buyers i deal with on these. I consistently have gotten no less than 500 for the bare ej22t blocks, numerous times. No point in arguing the facts.

That is what they go for.

Then we are talking rear disc brakes on a Legacy Sport, it is a upgrade, for even the WRX, they are vented and big.

Then, if you are talking a 91 Sport, it has a VLSD, that is another 150 low balled.

see my drift, or not? If you dpn't see where this is going, too bad. Then you should spend some time, on the forums that discuss this. There are many.

Then we can talk the turbo crossmember, it goes for say 65 lowballed, yes all day long all year round

I get 200 for ej22 longblocks. that run in good shape.

I have one of these right now for sale, includes intake, injectors, all sensors etc. If you se my sale thread, i have a 84 Brat, comes with a ej22 mounted, and one in the back. Adapter plate, 1 stripped harness, one that is 100% intact, etc and a good title BRAT for 1500 asking I will take less, I don't have a desire to get it going, it is a anchor

Edited by bheinen74

any core ej22t i worth 500 all day long, all year long. I have buyers i deal with on these. I consistently have gotten no less than 500 for the bare ej22t blocks, numerous times. No point in arguing the facts.

Depends on condition but generally that's about the case. The one I sold from my SS a few years ago that was totally trashed inside I still got an even trade for a TD05-16G with 90* inlet.... which is at least a $300 turbo. I don't know if the guy ever saved that block but he was going to try. I doubt it but who know.....

GD

Then we are talking rear disc brakes on a Legacy Sport, it is a upgrade, for even the WRX, they are vented and big.

Then, if you are talking a 91 Sport, it has a VLSD, that is another 150 low balled.

see my drift, or not? If you dpn't see where this is going, too bad. Then you should spend some time, on the forums that discuss this. There are many.

Then we can talk the turbo crossmember, it goes for say 65 lowballed, yes all day long all year round

I get 200 for ej22 longblocks. that run in good shape.

I have one of these right now for sale, includes intake, injectors, all sensors etc. If you se my sale thread, i have a 84 Brat, comes with a ej22 mounted, and one in the back. Adapter plate, 1 stripped harness, one that is 100% intact, etc and a good title BRAT for 1500 asking I will take less, I don't have a desire to get it going, it is a anchor

Okay, now I understand that the turbo motor is worth some money, even in core form. Learned something today!

My point was and will continue to be...

tell the OP what he should look for when purchasing a car. Be it a Mazda or SS Legacy. You do not need to make assumptions about buyers/sellers character. You know neither of them and realistically can not make that assumption.

Ok I get your point. There was a bit of overly aggressive judgment going on. I would say the majority of the responses were not that way though. I still stand by my opinion that "upgraded turbo" and non running condition "sounds" like a hack job. I think most people that can upgrade a turbo correctly should be able to fix a ground issue fairly easily. I am really curious if the prospective buyer reports back as to whether this is in serviceable condition or not.

when i posted asking about this specific model, i was trying to get an idea if the no start issue is common. if it were a common issue then i would have asked for remedies or ideas on how to fix it. i have never owned a subaru but i have worked on vw's and audi's and owned a couple of them. also i asked if parts for this model are readly available and how expensive they can be if i decided to buy the car. getting parts is more important to me than labour.