Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stupid alarm light blinks, '01 Legacy

Hi ALL!

My PAss door froze up on me the other day on my '01 Legacy GT wgn. I was in a mall parking lot, opened the passengers door it wouldn't close. Anyhow, umongst all the things I tried to to get it too shut, I used the lock/unlock button on the key fob, whish is also the alarm set thing! Anyhow I must of hit the alarm with the pass door open, alarm went off, I shut door disengaged alarm. I finaly got door to thaw and shut. Ever since then the alarm light on the dash flashes three flash pattern. The doors lock and unlock fine with the fob, car runs ok. The flashing stops when car starts. I've tried doing ignition 3 times thing, doesn't work. It's annoying! Any ideas ??

Many thanks, SubeeTed

go to cars 101 and you can get all of the info you need or look in your manual, but here is a quick summary.

Using the Subaru keyless entry with optional alarm

subarualarm1.jpg1. Locking. Push the large button. This locks all the doors and will set the alarm (if equipped and in setable mode)

2. Unlocking. Push the small button once to unlock the driver's door and disarm alarm, if set. Push the small button a second time to unlock all the doors.

3. Honking horn? The horn honks once for lock and twice for unlock. This is optional. To turn it off or to turn it on unlock all the doors and hold *both* buttons down ubntil the horn honks. The horn will always honk 3 times if a door is not fully closed and you want to lock it.

5. Alarm. Valet mode or alarm off: alarm light (red dot center dashboard dispay) rapidly flashing 3 times means the alarm is in "Valet"mode and is not setable. The light will stop flashing when you start the car.

Arming the alarm: to make an alarm in valet model arm-able, unlock all the doors and hold the small button down on the remote until the light stops flashing. Now when you lock the doors the alarm will be set and the light will flash on and off, on and off.

6. Alarm goes off? Push the small button on the remote or if you don't have the remote put the key in the ignition and turn it on and off three times.

The first thing I would try is to remove the positive battery cable from the battery. Leave the cable unbolted from the car about 5 minutes, then reconnect to the battery. This is how I have stopped the alarm light blink on wife's 98 OBW.

You will loose the correct time on the clock in the radio, and all that is remembered on the radio presets, but that is not too difficult to correct.

Best regards, Rooster 2