Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do I remove the outer cup from the axle shaft?

I got the front axle off the lifted xt pretty easily. Removed the pin and the nut and gave her few light taps with a hammer and 2x4. Easy as pie. Now im looking to eather swap the cups on the shafts to get a little more life out of them, or just reinstalling the outer cup till I get some new axles. I've taken off the inner cups before, but never the outer. How do I get it off without breaking anything? The manual says to tilt it to the side and pop the balls out, then remove the clip behind it. I did a little prying on one of the balls expecting it to pop out, but was only flexing my screwdriver. Any ideas?

pull the inner joint off. then find a pipe that the shaft will fit into and just a bit longer.

put the axle in the pipe with the outter joint faceing up and slam it into the ground. the force will be perfict all the way around the joint and the joint will pop right off. just make sure it dosnt fly off or hit the ground.

sounds a little redneck but it works. i have hit them with large hammers till i was blue in the face with no luck. the old pipe trick works every time.

see youtube

-=Suberdave=-

The right axle didn't come off as easily as the left. After I disconnected a few things, I had my dad tap on the axle while I pulled from underneath. While tugging on the axle shaft I pulled it right out of the cup! When pulling the innards out, I discovered that the cage the holds the bearings was broke, hence the wheel jerking. I only plan to drive it rwd till I get some new front axles and possibly some new wheel bearings while I'm at it. Thanks for your help, guys.