Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Flat-4 machine work?

Hello everyone!

So, I'm swapping a working ea-82 into my loyale - no, I don't want to get into an EJ swap right now, thanks - and after I do I'm going to have one lying around that needs a rebuild.

Thing is, guys at Napa and other local machine shops say they cant bore the block because it takes a special machine or fitting or something because the pistons are sideways. Which seems like crap to me, but that's why I'm not a machinist. So far I've called a bunch of places and gotten the same thing everywhere.

What's the deal?

Where can I get this done (some have suggested a machine shop that works on motorcycle engines)?

Should I expect it to cost more than an inline or "v" engine?

Are there any special things to look out for boring an ea-82?

Thanks!

Boring should be uneccesary and if it needs it the engine is basically junk for a couple different reasons - first because the EA82's are worth about $100 in running condition, second because proper boring does require a bore plate and proper fixure. If it's not done correctly the cylinder liners can shift after the engine is assembled and run, and third because 99% of the time the block doesn't even need boring and will run fine with a deglazing. Thus a block that needs boring is a boat anchor beacuse the next 99 you tear down won't require that step at all.

That said - it's not really ever worth rebuilding an EA82 at this time. They are underpowered and cheap. For the price of a rebuild you can easily score three good running used engines.

Any engine that can be had used with a warantee for under $500 is not worth rebuilding. Money losing proposition. A proper rebuild will be more and likely will not acheive as good of results as a factory engine that's in good running order.

If you *must* have a price for a Subaru engine bore job - it's about $200 (50 per cylinder). My machinist does EJ's all the time and that's what he charges. Might be more for the EA82 because it's an oddball and he never sees them.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Well I sure hope the ea81 is worth it, thats what I had bored. :-p

The engine was old and tired, never overheated. Just wanted to smooth out the cylinders and get some bigger pistons to fit.

At least shes running good. :burnout:

What size pistons did you go with? I'm going with EA71

What size pistons did you go with? I'm going with EA71

I went with these:

281914_254174937933068_100000216909175_1254061_3812938_n.jpg

They are "ITM Engine Components" pistons. They aren't too much larger than stock. Dunno if ea71 pistons would have been better, but didn't have them available to me at the time.

Those look just as good as 1600 pistons to me.

I agree, its not worth boring an EA82 if you have access to others. Its not real hard to find one with 90K or less miles that would just be a reseal instead of a rebuild too.