Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Webers can't pass DEQ? Hogwash.

So I just got back from emissions testing my 83 GL with a Weber 32/36 on it.

Hydrocarbon limit is 220ppm here in Oregon. I got 22ppm.

CO limit is 1%. I got 0.0124%

CO+CO2% is supposed to be over 6%. I got 12.4%

No fancy tricks or fuel additives, just tuned it.

The inspector's jaw about hit the floor. Didn't even have to do a second idle test.

All emissions equipment removed except the catalytic converter.

Even the EGR is gone, because I could not get it to run right with it hooked up. (though the idle test would not be affected by that anyway)

For reference these are the jets I'm running to keep the adjustment screws in the Weber factory spec. I live at about 1,200' and have adjusted it to run good here at the house. But the test sites are just over sea level.

Primary Air corrector--- 170

Secondary Air Corrector- 160

Primary Main Jet--- 140

Secondary Main Jet- 140

Primary Emulsion Tube--- F50

Secondary Emulsion Tube- F50

Primary Idle Jet--- 55

Secondary Idle Jet- 50

Right now I'm. :banana:

Edited by TeamCF
I seemed to have had the wrong secondary idle jet written down.

I absolutely agree! Weber carb is just great and with proper tuning will have no problem passing any emissions test other than California (emissions are well within spec there, but CA insists on OEM parts and the weber was never OEM on any Subaru I know of). Aside from being emissions friendly, a properly tuned weber is just great on gas mileage and driveability. I've had two Brats and a GL wagon weberized. Never regretted any of them.

As an aside, in an earlier life, my rally car was a '71 Datsun 510 with the two liter engine and weber. Greatest combination ever for TSD rally (except for my 2002 BMW which preceeded the 510; I couldn't afford to keep the BMW in spite of the fact it was a dream to drive).

Message to OP: you should put the jetting info into the USRM. Really useful information which seems to be hard to come by.

Edited by edrach

So I just got back from emissions testing my 83 GL with a Weber 32/36 on it.

Hydrocarbon limit is 220ppm here in Oregon. I got 22ppm.

CO limit is 1%. I got 0.0124%

CO+CO2% is supposed to be over 6%. I got 12.4%

No fancy tricks or fuel additives, just tuned it.

The inspector's jaw about hit the floor. Didn't even have to do a second idle test.

All emissions equipment removed except the catalytic converter.

Even the EGR is gone, because I could not get it to run right with it hooked up. (though the idle test would not be affected by that anyway)

For reference these are the jets I'm running to keep the adjustment screws in the Weber factory spec. I live at about 1,200' and have adjusted it to run good here at the house. But the test sites are just over sea level.

REEEEEALLY???? I live in Portland and was thinking of trying to bypass DEQ altogether, but now I just may try to pass it. I am running everything the same on my BRAT. Cool! :burnout:

Yes, really. :) hehe

I'd say get it running good and give it a shot. Your Brat might want slightly different jetting to pass, but it is possible. And jets are only like $5 each over at Discount Imports. So a little fiddling around is worth it to get it just perfect, they also have a guy there that knows Webers, only gotten to talk to him once but he pointed me in the right direction. :) (for the most part only the idle jets ever need swapping, lots of generic Weber info on the web.)

Like this: http://www.poustusa.com/weber_carb_pages/weber_carb_page.htm

And this: http://www.carburetion.com/weber/adjust.htm

For a totally different animal, but this has good info on the basics of what does what and how things affect each other (read the "Weber D**V tuning as a systems engineer" part) : http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Weber_DGV_Tuning

And lots more. They all end up pretty much repeating the same thing though. Then you just apply it to your car how it needs it.

Yeah my secondary is actually a 50. I had it written down wrong. (Well I had it written down right, but had it saved on the computer in a text file for reference wrong, And I just copied that and didn't double check my paper.....) :)

I figured I'd get it to pass, just didn't know if I'd need to keep trying or not.

I did seafoam the crap out of it a couple tanks beforehand though. Doubt any was left in the system. But I'm sure that helped. So that detail might be important.