Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1987 GL-10 Turbo Awd AT TROUBLE

I have a 1987 gl10 turbo awd with Atransmission that has gone out. When it went out I could still push the 4x4 button and the rear diff would work but now that burned out too. Can't go anywhere now. Tranny shop said it was the final drive assembly that had gone.

What should I do? Does anybody have a final drive for this car or is there an easy conversion to 5 sp manual for this vehicle? The engine runs great and we need the 4x4 to work.

Thx for any help u can be

Because you have a button for 4WD we can safely assume you have a Part Time 4WD transmission not an AWD (Full Time 4WD) transmission. Those are junk and are hard to find replacement's for.

If you can drive a stick it would be easiest to replace it with one of those. They are more available. But you will probably not find many shops willing to do the work to convert it because it's a custom conversion. You will need an 88 or 89 5 speed dual range transmission so it will have the neutral switch you need for the fuel injection computer. You will also need the pedal assembly, new clutch and clutch cable, flywheel, driveline, and matching rear differential if your existing one is not a 3.9 (it may be).

This is something that can and has been done - it's not that hard but it does require someone that is familar with Subaru's and has done this kind of a project before - there will be wiring involved as you will have to bypass the inhibitor switch on the automatic shifter assembly that prevents you from starting while in gear.... I've done this exact swap a couple times now for folks with dead 3AT's.

If you are willing to bring the car down to Portland I think I have the right transmission and most of the other parts needed with the exception of the new clutch/cable and driveline. But those could be sourced easily from the local yards. You are looking at about $320 labor plus parts. Probably around $600 to $700 total I would assume to get it properly converted and ready to drive. I could also arrange to come to get the car for about $80 plus gas - about $160 total for me to tow a GL back to my shop from the Seattle area.

GD