Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 hatch back 4sp D/R stuck in third any ideas?

hey everyone the gfs hatch went into 3rd gear the other day and will not come back out any ideas on how to get it out?

Yes i know "just swap in a 5 speed" that is the plan down the road but i am going away to school and can't do it right now but any help is greatly accepted.

1984 EA81 Hatch 4sp D/R bone stock never had any problems with the trans till now.

Cheers R.

Thanks GD i tried that still nothing though. I have tried all sorts of combinations to get it unstuck, pulling on the shift lever wile the car is moving, pulling on it while the clutch is in and the car is moving and not moving, pulling on it under load wile slowing down and accelerating still nothing.

I am going to get under it today and see if the linkage is binding up.

Cheers R.

• 3 weeks later...

the fork for 3/4 has a pad that is 1/2 wide. When driving in 4th gear if you rest your hand on the shifter to quite down noise or just bad habit it wears the back edge off the pad it then uses the front edge of this pad to move slider into 3rd but the back off which is gone is what pulls it out out of 3rd and moves slider into 4th. Will need to be replaced if you can find one (requires splitting case) If you can drive and get engine to match tranny like shifting with out clutch it might come out shifting from 3rd to 4th good luck