Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel / Air ventilator pipe replacement '96 Legacy

In inspecting the fuel smell from my '96 Legacy Brighton, I don't think it is coming from the fuel filler pipe. I think it is coming from the vapor pipe or whatever it's called. From opposedforces, it looks like it is called 'air ventilator pipe'.

This pipe connects to the hose that connects to that little side pipe coming off the fuel filler pipe. Then it runs through the body (which is probably why I can smell it so much inside the car). Then to another hose.

It looks like to replace it, it would be easiest if the fuel filler pipe were removed.

I wonder if I can just pinch this hose off? I suspect that might make the fuel fill nozzle click off though unless set to a very slow rate.....

It appears to be item 7 in: http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_28/intake_and_supply_system_turbocharger/fuel_piping/illustration_4/

attachment.php?attachmentid=9250&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=9251&stc=1

post-19886-136027652492_thumb.jpg

post-19886-136027652495_thumb.jpg

Edited by porcupine73
add photos

I JUST had one of those like two weeks ago and tossed it.

I don't know that the filler pipe has to be removed, but the plastic bushing they cram into the frame to hold that pipe is a royal pita to get out, probably that much worse with the filler pipe in the way.

Crimping it off will just complicate filling the tank, and might not stop the gas smell. If the filler is rusty, find one that isn't as bad on a junkyard car and replace it and that smaller pipe at the same time. I you really wanna go dealer on that one, it's about $35.

It's number 7 listed here, part number 42065AA350

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_5/intake_and_supply_system_turbocharger/fuel_piping/illustration_2/

Thanks for the info. :D. You threw out my part?!?! just kidding. :D That plastic bushing thing does look tricky. I started poking / picking at the backside of this pipe with a screwdriver and it does not look good at all, so I stopped.

I assumed it was the fuel filler pipe so I already have that part on hand.

I thought about maybe just replacing it with hose but probably might as well just get the right part.

post-19886-136027652502_thumb.jpg

Edited by porcupine73

Thanks for the part # help, that is it!

I used a drinking straw to sniff around this ventilator pipe. It's definitely my leak source, right where it passes through the body.

They added the part to their site so I was able to order it: http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=21510

I left the gas cap a bit loose. I was pleased that I do not smell gasoline inside the car anymore after it is parked. That was nasty. Nothing like having the window down to air it out when it's about 20 degrees out!