Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tube rockers

So my 89GL has rusty rocker panels. They're not going to last much longer, and beyond being patched up. That's a losing battle anyway.

I was wondering if anyone has ever cut out their rockers and welded in steel tube. Either round or square.

Am I crazy, or should I give it a go?

I would get a set from over here on the west cost and weld in new one's.

Tubing is not going to seal on your door correctly, etc. Not the way I would be doing it.

GD

AH! I didn't think about the doors. Good point there.

I'm not going to do it until summer, this type of thing sucks when it's below zero out. But I need to get a plan lined up now, this sort of stuff takes a while to work out.

My other option is a new shell, but that's non-existant on this side of the country. So my best bet is probably to fix it. Further inspection pending, if the whole thing is rusted out beyond the rockers. I'm never going to win.

• 1 month later...
Might be picking up a brat this weekend that runs and drives but the rocerks are in bad shape, if you have a link or know where to find replacement panels let me know!

No one makes restamping of EA81 panels (Rockers for instance)

You can buy EA82 rockers from Mill Supply for $100 shipped like I did and make them work like I am going to. Sure beats trying to make your own.