Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will this strut work on my 1997 GT?

I have a 1997 Legacy GT with 2.5 4wd (5spd) and I was wondering if this strut would work? I need the left rear. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shock-Absorber-and-Strut-Assembly-Rear-Right-Hand-New-Black-RH-Passenger-Side-/290627670178?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru|Model%3ALegacy&vxp=mtr&hash=item43aac250a2 Am I correct in assuming any left rear strut for the 96-99 will work on mine? I know the outback has a longer shaft, but all the others are the same right (including impreza?)? thanks!

Those part #'s kind of look like KYB part #'s even though they don't say it is KYB. If you go to KYB's site, and download their application guide, you can check out what part # it is for yours and see if it matches. It would be ideal to replace both sides at the same time for consistent handling if budget allows.

I found the one I needed off ebay. I was hoping to go with a cheaper one, the fronts and left rear were about $10 less, and I noticed there's a bunch of the right rear's sold so maybe that's the one that always goes first. I've owned 4 95-99's and 3 of them had that right rear go, so maybe it was made poorly from the factory.