Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Corroded electrical connector

I have a spade type electrical connector that is full of corrosion. Blue/green corrosion is making for a bad electrical contact. I used a cut down cardboard finger nail emery board that my wife had, to clean up the male and female sides of the the connector. Still, the connector does not look clean. Is there a product that can be bought to dissolve away the corrosion? Would a solution of baking soda and water do any good? If I can clean the connector, would applying the vasoline type electrical gel used to connect spark plug wires to spark plugs help prevent corrosion in the future?

Thanks for any help!

You could try some WD-40 or dip the ends in Coka-Cola. I've heard it works pretty well cleaning things.

As far as using a sealer I don't like covering the contact surfaces with a insulator. Putting the sealer over the outer surfaces is a better think to do I believe.

Edited by Cougar

You dont clean cables you replace them as the wear is also microscopic.

If they are corroded that means the boot is not doing it's job sealing out the weather and technically already failed. New wires come with silicon lube that helps seal the tight rubber to the plug.

For other electrical connectors you can use dielelectric grease.

if the sensor is corroded only just get a new sensor.

if the connector is corroded:

on XT6's the older temp sensor connector is like a generic fuel injector plug, i've got a bunch. if yours is similar to that you could get a new plug.

you can also solder wire to the temp sensor connectors (sometimes you have to grind or cut away the plastic housing if its in the way of the soldering iron), then solder new wire into the wiring harness of the vehicle - and install plugs on each of the 4 wires to plug them in together.

corrosion can even pass through the connector and up into the wiring - i've seen it up to 6 inches or so up in the wiring. if you want to get it all out that's a good way to do it.

here's an XT6 one i did 8 years ago, with a picture:

http://www.subaruxt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1767&p=7341&hilit=temp+sensor#p7341

Edited by grossgary

I don't like spade terminals because of this... I like them less on lights and whatnot because they end up acring.

But the problem once they get all green and corroded is that the structure of the spade has now been weakened.

With vibration and heat, and whatnot it'll tend to open up now that it's been corroded. This will make bad contact and upset the computer, gauge, whatever.

Best bet is to cut it off and put on a new connector.

I don't like spade terminals because of this... I like them less on lights and whatnot because they end up acring.

But the problem once they get all green and corroded is that the structure of the spade has now been weakened.

With vibration and heat, and whatnot it'll tend to open up now that it's been corroded. This will make bad contact and upset the computer, gauge, whatever.

Best bet is to cut it off and put on a new connector.

That is where I was heading but you beat me to it.

What he said 1000%

That is where I was heading but you beat me to it.

What he said 1000%

Thanks, I agree with your assessment. Unfortunately, the connector is such that the female side is a plug that pushes up inside a recessed housing on the sensor. Inside the sensor is four spades, that the female side pushes onto to complete the connection. There just isn't the option of cutting off the connector, and installing a new and different connector.

Thanks, I agree with your assessment. Unfortunately, the connector is such that the female side is a plug that pushes up inside a recessed housing on the sensor. Inside the sensor is four spades, that the female side pushes onto to complete the connection. There just isn't the option of cutting off the connector, and installing a new and different connector.

You should still be able to get it out. Subaru alternator plugs (at least on some models) are the same idea as this. It's a spade terminal inside a stupid plastic housing. They got the spade in there, so it will come out. There's usually a little plastic lock mechanism you can push with a screw driver to release it, and get a new one in there.

Also, if it corroded in the first place it means water got in the plug at some point. Water will get in there again if you don't replace/seal it up.

I do wiring professionally on boats, and if something corrodes merely replacing the corroded connector is only a bandaid. You have to fix the problem that let water in, or it'll happen again.

I used to make wireing harnesses etc as part of prototype work. Look closely at the connector, you may have to get some contact cleaner to see it really well. The way these work is that you push the terminal into the plug and there is a locking tab that holds in the terminal. You can usually unlock the terminal using a pin and remove them for cleaning.

WHat causes this is the elements or a poor fit. EVen the best sealed connectors if expanded from age and heat and vibration over the years can have this happen.