Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Outback wouldn't start this AM-wierd

I have a 98 outback stick, with 179K that just got a 2.2 transplant. I have been driving it for a week or more with no issues. This AM, I went to start it and nothing. It wouldn't turn over, but I had electric windows, fan, dome light, lights on dash. Jumped it nothing. Finally had to have it towed to my mechanic. Later, it started right up for them. They check it all over and nothing out of the ordinary.

Temp was 35 this AM which is kinda warm for this time of year. It has started easily in colder temps recently and the battery checks out under a load.

Any ideas?

Maybe the starter is getting tired?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Don't want to get stranded.

Edited by 3Pin
spelling

It has been fine all day today. I think I will clean up the terminals real good and go from there.

No codes at all until today.....when I was driving for 40 minutes on the highway at about 1800-2000 rpm, 40-50 MPH in 5th in a snow storm. It blew an PO420 which is catalyst efficicency below threshold bank one. I turned it off and will see if it comes back with normal highway driving.

If I have a no start, and then tap on the starter, I assume a starter is in my future.

If I have a no start, and then tap on the starter, I assume a starter is in my future.

usually it is the contacts in the solenoid that get old, worn, charred, scorched. they aren't expensive, ~15$, and it may fix the problem. either that or adding a relay at the starter. (see other current thread.)

the problem with replacement re-man starters, there are no real standards for what re-man means. so if it bench tests well, it can be put back in service with a coat of paint? and be called re-man.

i would look for a used subaru starter from some one here or a salvage yard and replace the contacts before install. assuming your is bad.

but my personal preference is to install a relay. i did it 5 years ago and i have never had a no start since. but it just depends on the cause of the problem. but relays are way cheaper and easier than replacing a starter. and in my opinion cheaper and easier than replacing contacts.

Why buy a starter (no starter is 80.00 brand new, you are talking a rebuild) when it is just the contacts, a simple and common repair.

the labor to do this will be more than just swapping the starter, since you have to remove it anyway, and then rebuild it. Weigh your shop rate to rebuild versus the price of new parts.

have you kept any spare starters from these project cars you've had ?

the autozone, etc. starters come with a year warranty for a reason-high failure.

My 94 legacy does this. if i rattle the key enough, it will go. I make a conscious effort to turn off the lights and the fan when i park the car, for this reason (this would be the difference if your battery will hold out for a start in sub zero weather if the battery is older).

yes, you can test the starter by jumping a piece of wire from the small tab on the starter to the battery. do this with the key on so it runs. Try that the next time it leaves you with a no-start, and if it works, perhaps the problem could be in the ign switch or its terminals as this is common with older subarus.

The starters on these are fairly universal, with one version for AT and another for MT.

Perhaps you could get a junkyard unit and it will be good. OR that, if for cheap, and purchase new contacts for the solenoid and have your mchanic install them to that tstarter and swap it out. Keep your old one for a rebuildable for the next subaru that comes our way.

I may have a spare starter, but i would have to look at it to see what it's from.

I've got lots of used starters but most are 97 ( a 1 year starter - IIR they are longer). But I should have some from a 96 and 99 around here. PM if interested. I am cleaning up and selling a lot of my Subaru parts.

But that catalyst below effeciency do some searching here. I believe that's the one where Ive had good success with Seafoam. Just beware of the white smoke it makes.

Thanks guys for the commnets, I appreciate it. Good question Miles,I have sold or parted all of the stuff I have so it looks like I will do the contact deal or just put in the replacement starter. If I go new, my wholesale parts guy wants the core back, so I can't keep the spare to repair.

On the P0420, I turned it off and it hasn't gone back on, but my mileage went from 21 to 18 on the last tank, so I think that tha that I have lazy front O2 sensor.

I think I will try some sea foam first.