Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No squirt! (Windshield washer blues...)

So, the thing worked.

Now it doesn't.

So, I figgered the most logical thing is to replace the pump. Bought one. Did it.

Still no squirt.

Soooo, gotta be in the switch, right? (Or the wires between the switch and the pump.)

Anybody have any suggestions/experience with these?

Ooops: '98 Legacy OB

Red. The most trustworthy color.

You might have to verify power to the pump. Do you get front or rear, or do neither work? I believe usually the pumps have +12V on them in run, and the other terminal gets grounded to make them turn on. Can you hear the pump at all or does it do nothing?

It's funny, on my '96, right after I got it, I thought the pump wasn't working, but for some reason I got confused about what switch on what stalk actually made it turn on.

If blowing compressed air through the nozzles...make sure not to blow any through the pump itself...that will ruin it...I learned that the hard way.

My data for a 97 model shows power is tied to the pump motor by a wht/blu wire from fuse #2 and the return side is controlled by the wiper switching system. You should be able to ground the grn/red wire on the return side and make the pump turn on if the power side is ok. There is a connection in between the motor and the switch which could be where the trouble is at. There is a 20 pin connector by the brake master cylinder the return side passes through. Perhaps seperating and reconnecting it will solve the trouble if the power side of the circuit is ok.

Edited by Cougar