Ultimate Subaru Message Board

That is a dilemma, since you need to drive tomorrow, if it were me, and the notched part of the key is still in the lock,I would take a long thin “needle nose" pliers top and bottom to key slot and see if it will roll the lock to start and then back to off. with out undue force. Or, fish the broken half of key out. Key can only be removed in the off positon and wont take much effort to remove, if it can be grabbed. then have it duplicated, > If it is original, will have a 4 digit code (on the half that is your hand)to perhaps redone from scratch. Or, proof of ownership at a Subie dealership, along with vin# should do it as well :popcorn:

Edited by propane

If you were unable to get the key out and can move it to the "run" position you can remove the plastic from around the steering column and take the switch off the left hand side of the column and start the car that way with a screwdriver. With the key in the ignition your steering wheel won't lock.

If you can't get it out (and might not be adviseable to take it out if it must be driven soon), use pliers to turn it to off. Then use pliers to turn it to run in the morning. If you can't use the pliers to turn it to start (because of the force needed), you can jump the starter solenoid with key in run to get it going.

So....who broke the key off and how? Was the steering wheel locked and a little too much force used? :-p

The proper key code is located on the passenger side door lock tumbler - remove the door panel and you can read it with a flashlight. Take that to any locksmith and they can cut a perfect key from the code.

Then you just have to get the old one out. As mentioned - possibly some needle nose pliers, etc. But you might have to take the lock off the column and remove the key by dissasembly.

GD

You could just call a locksmith. It's probably $75 for a service call but you'll get a new key and they can more than likely fish the broken section out without trouble.

I like the needle nose pliers option myself. A flat head screwdriver might also work.

Removing the broken key can be as simple as grabbing it with some pliers and pulling it out. But if it twisted, the edges could be jammed into the sides of the lock and make it much more difficult.

If you can't get it out (and might not be adviseable to take it out if it must be driven soon), use pliers to turn it to off. Then use pliers to turn it to run in the morning. If you can't use the pliers to turn it to start (because of the force needed), you can jump the starter solenoid with key in run to get it going.

So....who broke the key off and how? Was the steering wheel locked and a little too much force used? :-p

We haven't found out exactly what happen.He lend the car to a friend who need to go get groceries. the friend came back said the key broke off on the way back. somehow he was able to start the car with broken key. but when bf went to take a look he couldnt get it to start. Of course friend disappears.

We haven't found out exactly what happen.He lend the car to a friend who need to go get groceries. the friend came back said the key broke off on the way back. somehow he was able to start the car with broken key. but when bf went to take a look he couldnt get it to start. Of course friend disappears.

reminds me of the time my friend drove my brat 3 blocks with the e-brake on, he would try to upshift to 3rd, and the thing would stall out immediately and die, then he started it up again, 1st gear ok 2ndgear boggy, third die....lol i pushed off the e-brake and we were good....

drivers who do that are the same who break your key off.....