Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Unhappy with MPG {2000 Forester L}

Yep, anytime I have a connector apart I put some dielectric grease in it before I put it back together.

The salt situation in PA is much better than NY. I am not sure they even use salt in the northern portions of the state that I visit.

Correction:

4. screw in NEW one

OOPS!!!! my bad.. :D you guys try getting all technical at 6 somethig in the morning...

I think that maybe slight warmth in the exhaust is good but too hot and you can mess up threads on it can't ya????

Correct me if I am wrong....

Matt

state motto is add more salt, the tool of choice was frequently the hot wrench.

After I got here in Ca I was frequently assigned to be the guy with the torch due to my experience with corrosion.

You can get out 30 year old salty exhaust studs by cherrying them with a torch and useing care.

So I would say no to that. Heat can often save something that a tanker full of penetrating oil cannot.

By the way once you get that rusty bolt out put a new one in. Or in this case new sensor ;)

I ordered both sensors (front and rear) from:

http://www.autopartsauthority.com

They are Bosch brand and I had them shipped next day. My local sources (Pep Boys & Auto Zone) did not have them in stock.

The counterman at Pep Boys brought out one that did not even come close to the correct Bosch numbers. It would be nice for Pep Boys to hire people who UNDERSTAND English (editorial comment).

My mechanic will be installing them on Monday.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

~Howard

:banana:

The saga continues.......

My mechanic just called with interesting news. The Bosch web site as well as the vendor's web site (http://www.autopartsauthority.com) have the incorrect part numbers listed for O2 sensors. My kind of luck !

My guy is going to try and get the front sensor from Subaru.

I have to get an RMA from the vendor. It's going to be interesting trying to explain this one.

~Howard

JACEK:

The Bosch site and the autopartsauthority.com site show #13036 for the REAR O2 sensor and #13469 for the FRONT O2 sensor for the 2000 Forester. My mechanic said both are incorrect. In fact the cables were not long enough and have different type connectors.

~Howard

No way! Are you sure? I just ordered the same sensor (Part #: 17018) for my 2000 Legacy after checking Bosch website.

What is then the correct part #?

Thanks,

Jacek

You are right, autoparts lists Bosch #13469 as front O2 sensor for forester but #17018 for legacy and outback. What a screwup!

I will have a delivery tomorow so I will know if this is correct or not by the end of the week.

I also noticed from this publication:

http://www.endwrench.com/pdf/fuel/FtFuelEmmisionW00.pdf

that the front oxygen sensor is acctually not a typical oxygen sensor but an Air-Fuel Ratio sensor.

Does anyone understand what the real difference is?

You have to help me with this one. What is the TPS ? Wouldn't it show up as a CEL if it wasn't functioning correctly ? Should I expect more MPG from the Forester ?

Remember I think I'm still using that special winter fuel.

My mechanic charges $70 fee for the diagnostic test.

~Howard :confused:

Do an OBD2 scan and see if the TPS is functioning correctly. In my 2000 legacy, I got 16 MPG (city) for a year before a code for TPS showed up. New TPS and $330 later, MPG is 19 city/24 hwy.

BTW, Bosch #17018 ($156) is OE part for legacy and outback, I confirmed.

RE: "My mechanic charges $70 fee for the diagnostic test."

$70 is almost enough to purchase your own OBD2 interface to your laptop or pilot and read codes + sensor status for free.

Like I said, it took a year for the TPS problem to declare itself by CEL in my case.

However, I had planty of warning signs: poor mileage, fuel in oil, hesitations, poor AT shifts. The Subaru dealership could not "duplicate the problem" before the engine light showed up, typical for dealership mechanics these days.

If you have similar problems, look into TPS, but it might be a long shot.

Unfortunately, many things may produce poor mileage.

I not having any of these problems. It runs great since the tune-up. I love the Forester but the MPG is still the issue. I am going to wait a bit on this one. I might throw a bottle of fuel injector cleaner into the tank.

~Howard

:-\

RE: "My mechanic charges $70 fee for the diagnostic test."

$70 is almost enough to purchase your own OBD2 interface to your laptop or pilot and read codes + sensor status for free.

Like I said, it took a year for the TPS problem to declare itself by CEL in my case.

However, I had planty of warning signs: poor mileage, fuel in oil, hesitations, poor AT shifts. The Subaru dealership could not "duplicate the problem" before the engine light showed up, typical for dealership mechanics these days.

If you have similar problems, look into TPS, but it might be a long shot.

Unfortunately, many things may produce poor mileage.