Ultimate Subaru Message Board

winter tire sizes.

155-80-13?

these are a good price, new and are Winterforce.

or should I pay a little more for 175-70-13?

If you get lots of deep snow in your area, the 155s would be better. If not, I would go with the 175s. What's the suggested tire size for your model? Check out the owner's manual or the plate on the driver's side door pillar.

175-70 is the suggested size.

but I found the winterforce at in stock size for only just a littel more.

I got impatient and asked a question before doing enough research.

I am good now! thanks!

oh and these ain't fer snow. cause we don't get that here. :headbang:

Not quite. 155/80's have the same diameter as 175/70's, but their load rating is only 79. The stock 165SR's were replaced by 165/80's, and are rated at 83, and the 175/70's at 82.

So if you use those tires, you must be aware that you have decreased the maximum load you can put in the car. You must also run them at maximum rated pressure to achieve their maximum load rating (35 psi), not the pressures that Subaru recommends for a completely different tire.

I run 155/80's as snow tires, but I am well aware of the drawbacks. When the snowies are on, I keep the loads light, the speeds down and the tires at 36 PSI+. Also, where I live, it does snow and stays cold while they are on the car, so the lower temperature has to help keep the tire temperature down.

Where you live, I would stick with the 175/70's.

Its not a daily. And they will be for the 20-ish miles to the rallyx and for the event.

Narrower should be better for rally?

Load rating is no big deal for this car. Its a sub 2300 pound fwd XT.

I don't care about the 30 buck price difference. I just think the 155s might have more grab in the dirt