Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strange Flashing Lights!

There I was, leaving work in my 99 Subaru Outback Sport. I turned on the key, started the car and all of a sudden, my dome light, marker lights, open door light on are flashing, and the doors would automatically lock like every 5 seconds????? WTF, over! Has my car been invaded by aliens? Poltergeists? Oh yeah, my doors remote control doesn't work all of a sudden?

Somebody tell me what is up with this!

Thanks,

UMT

Factory alarm system? Just keyless entry?

How long did this carry on before it stopped? Or did it stop?

I'm not really aware that the car has a factory alarm system. I drove it home 20 miles with it doing that, disconnected the negative battery cable for about an hour, started it back up, hit the little button under the dash, and it's quit. (For now?) I'm just wondering what might cause such stuff.

Yeah that could be a keyless entry/alarm module malfunction. Sometimes this can be caused by low voltage. If the battery terminals are corroded at all clean them up really well and make sure the cables get put back on nice and tight.

How old is the battery?

That might be it. When I went to put the neg cable back on, fully tightened, it was still loose. Put a finishing nail between the cable and post as a temporary fix. My keyless remote still doesn't work. Going to replace the battery in it tomorrow and see what happens.

All is ok now, but strange stuff...