Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gasoline smell--outside of car

Today I had the brake light switch replaced. When the mechanic was finished

and drove it to the pick up site I noticed a slight gasoline smell from the outside of the car. Didn't think much of it since it is a garage. Drove the car, ran several errands--no smell. However when I got home and opened the car door the smell was quite strong--dissipated quickly-- but there nevertheless. No smell in the cabin. Will try again tomorrow--in the mean time any suggestions?

2002 Impreza.

I have a 2001 Impreza 2.2 ltr, had the same problem! When facing the engine while it is running, a short fuel line on the front/top/passenger side of the engine was leaking. You could not see it if the car had been off after a few minutes, the gas would quickly dry, and look like it was fine.

I also had a gas smell in my 98 Impreza outback sport ended up being a small crack in a fuel vapor line right above the gas tank, I could really smell it on hot days. And my CEL came on. I had my mechanic fix it since I really didn't want to try to drop the tank myself. Had I had a lift then I would have been able to though. I would definitely get her checked out soon though gas leaks can get scary really quick! When i was a kid my parents had a 67 camero that caught fire from a fuel leak, luckily someone passing by had an extinguisher and the car only needed some rewiring in the end.

Good Luck

Did your mechanic remove or replace the fuel filter? It is right there necxt to the brake fluid level. PErhaps there was residual ruel on the mechanic himself or in the shop where the car absorbed some vapors, but nono of it originated from the car. Perhaps the mechanic had gasoline on his shirt when he got in your car to move it.

I had to replace my fuel tank on my impreza 2002, the tank leaked when it was more than a half full. It started with a litlle gas smell, but a few month later, that smell was very present.

Wow.

You realize the odds of it being the filler neck is MUCH MORE likely than being the tank.

Not cheap or enjoyable buy WAY cheaper in parts and labor than a tank.