Ultimate Subaru Message Board

snow build up on headlights

Id like to hear from you guys in the snow belt on possible cures for snow covered headlights. We dont get alot of snow in the PNW but I have real issues with night driving and snow both with the ea82 composits and last night with the xt6. Im considering Hella H4 conversions hoping the extra heat would help, or possibly some driving lights. Before I start throwing money at the car or driving it off the road I thought id ask what others have done.

Thanks

Wipe the snow off. =P Idk is it different in your parts? It's so cold that cleared headlights that are on will still not overcome the cold and snow builds up again while you're driving? if so that's crazy cold lol, try keeping your high beams on

It isn't the cold, it is the huge flakes of snow, and lots of them, that fall in this part of the world. Overwhelms the heat output of the lights.

I get it worse, as I have plastic headlight covers, that act as insulators between the snow and the light. But I would rather stop and clear them than replace headlights constantly.

Wipe the snow off. =P

Lol...i hadnt thought of that ;)

Actually ive done that many times. Last night I was on an old 2 lane hiway with no shoulders or side roads and traffic both directions. Between glare, massive snow fall and old eyes it pretty much sucked.

Wipe the snow off. =P

Lol...i hadnt thought of that ;)

Actually ive done that many times. Last night I was on an old 2 lane hiway with no shoulders or side roads and traffic both directions. Between glare' date=' massive snow fall and old eyes it pretty much sucked.[/quote']

Wow, that does sound pretty sucky. There's nothing like some good ol' White Knuckle driving to keep you on your toes, eh? (and your face almost as close to the windshield as possible lol)

Hope you're able to figure something out for your situation mate :drunk:

You said you have plastic covers.

Do you mean plastic lens vs the glass style, or do you mean covers..

what about taking the headlight covers off in the winter?

Another option if not the cover issue, is to use rain-x or a high quality wax that repels water and moisture. Some good waxes repel water drops and so it would be hard for anything to stick.

Edited by bheinen74

You mentioned maybe converting to H4. I did a Hella H4 conversion on my GL (small rectangular 4 headlight setup) and I have no problems so far with snow buildup. Just putting that out there for reference. :)

Sounds like a bigger job for you though if you have the larger single non sealed beam headlights.

Would need to replace a bit to do it.

I'm pretty sure he means lenses. My lenses cake up with snow too. I get out and wipe them off. maybe some snowboard or ski wax would work the chemical compisition of that stuff is to make to melt snow so you more or less ride you board on a thin plain of water.. never tried it, but its a possibility

You said you have plastic covers.

Do you mean plastic lens vs the glass style, or do you mean covers..

what about taking the headlight covers off in the winter?

Another option if not the cover issue, is to use rain-x or a high quality wax that repels water and moisture. Some good waxes repel water drops and so it would be hard for anything to stick.

Im not running covers, just 7054's in my xt6. I did consider Rain x, also I used to race moto x and flat track and used wd40 on the bike to keep down the amount of mud/clay build up. Ill have to give it a try.

You mentioned maybe converting to H4. I did a Hella H4 conversion on my GL (small rectangular 4 headlight setup) and I have no problems so far with snow buildup. Just putting that out there for reference. :)

Sounds like a bigger job for you though if you have the larger single non sealed beam headlights.

Would need to replace a bit to do it.

Thats encouraging, I also picked up a 4 light set up from a dl for an ea82 wagon project im still working on. Ill most likely go with the H4 conversion on the xt6 regardless of winter performance. Im home on the weekends only and each sunday after dinner I commute from the washington coast line over the olympics to Seattle. Recalling my winter drives with my wagon and rx im thinking of a new mod for the wagon, part of it Im stealing from Turbone :)

I have plastic covers over the glass headlights.

And I leave them on in the winter because that is when the gravel is on the road, that gets thrown up to smash them.

It is time for some new covers, as the old ones are just about shot. They have taken dozens of rocks, probably saved me the value of the car in smashed headlights.

What I really hate is the "Warp speed" effect of driving through falling snow, all you can see is snow coming at you.... Headlights make it worse.

For protection from broken headlights I've just been using Lamin-X film the past few years. The 40mil stuff for flat lights. Can buy it in bulk sheets. $15 or so worth is totally worth it to me to save my $100 Hella conversion. :)

Have to take care of it though. The first time I used it I never treated it (use Armor All type stuff, they sell their own special blend as well) and it got hazy after several months. Anytime I clean my lights (which is just about every time I think about it, I'm a full power light geek so I keep 'em clean) I just spray a little on and buff 'em. Best part is since the film is right on the glass you don't get that insulating airspace so full bulb heat keeps the snow off. :)

Wax is really the only option. ...

I was about to suggest rain X:

800002243.jpg

But also there is a product that says: "Repels rain, snow, and sleet!" it is the "Aquapel" Glass treatment:

http://www.amazon.com/AQUAPEL-Windshield-Glass-Repellant-TREATMENTS/dp/B001GUO2J8/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1326742382&sr=1-1

However you can try with this Snow repellent:

31f0emMkS2L_SS500_.jpg

Kind Regards.

Rain-x and that DuPont stuff may help, but I suspect they will just make it easier to clear the headlights. The grill and front bumper basically shovel the snow out of the sky, there is no where for the snow to go. That stuff isn't magic that blows the snow off, if you get snow built up on the bumper and lights, it will stay there.

But worth a try.

RainX helps a bit. Most of it for me is crappy road grit that gets thrown up off cars infront of me.

If I'm driving from the city back home, when I get off the highway I stop at a gas station and clear off my headlights and driving lights for the rural roads home. Keeping a longer following distance is probably the number one thing you can do to keep road grit off your lights.

If the snow is so light it would blow away, it won't build up in the first place.

There are many different kinds of snow: wet and heavy, that builds up on the lights, or light and puffy, that blows right over the car, and everything in between.

The mud and grime often have the worst effect on the lights. Following distance helps, but a lot comes from trucks etc. travelling the other way. I make it a point now to stop before dark to wipe the headlights and windows off. Which is often hard to do up here in the cold country, because there are plenty of service stations that don't put out squeegees and water, as it just freezes. Wiping down the windows and lights with dry paper towel is not terribly effective.

Just grab a hand full of snow and use it to clean the lights off. Its the easiest most effective way. Your hands won't get cold because you carry gloves in your car at all times.

If you drive where it gets below freezing and DON'T have a resident pair of gloves in your car, you're an idiot. Get some cheap leather gloves now.

I use my ice scraper on the headlights before I drive. Sometimes a dab of windshield washer fluid helps.

As for buildup while driving, I've been considering trying to mount a pair of headlight wipers from a fancy-schmancy european car to the Loyale, but I haven't got around to it, yet. That might be worth experimenting with if you don't mind some time in a junkyard and can fab some mounts!

I use my ice scraper on the headlights before I drive. Sometimes a dab of windshield washer fluid helps.

As for buildup while driving, I've been considering trying to mount a pair of headlight wipers from a fancy-schmancy european car to the Loyale, but I haven't got around to it, yet. That might be worth experimenting with if you don't mind some time in a junkyard and can fab some mounts!

Im considering the same thing for my ea82 wagon project along with Turbones projector mod.

I tried the wd40 trick very early yesterday morning and it seemed to work pretty well. Its really not too much of a pain to stop and scrape the snow/ice off the lenses as long as road conditions allow but not having to mess with it would be nice too.