Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cam Belt Covers Revisited

robm

Recently, my driver's side cam belt lost a dozen teeth, at 85,000 km since replacement. The time before that, the belt broke, at 80,000 km. Belts are supposed to be changed at 90,000 km (55,000 miles), but I am not getting that kind of life out of them. When removed, the belts are in bad shape, cracked and obviously ready to go.

The first time I changed a belt was at 180,000 km on the car, 90,000 km on the belt. That first set of belts I removed didn't look too bad, they had plenty of life left. The cam covers came off in in pieces on that job, because the bolts bond themselves to the inserts, so I have been running without covers ever since.

So, I can't help but wonder if the lack of covers might be contributing to the short life of the cam belts I have experienced since?

Does any one else have similar experience with broken belts on cars with no covers?

I run coverless because if the timing belt does go, its about 30 mins to change them, and you keep a spare set and a few tools so you arent stranded...

I know several people that say "oh its too hard to change those, Ill just go til they break" and then boom, they are stranded. I dont have that problem. :clap:

With that said though, if you have a lot of gravel roads or brush to drive through, put the covers on. Also, make sure no oil or anything is dripping on them as that will decrease their life expectancy.

I have a friend that has just over 91k on his 55-60k belts... and hes coverless, has a brand new set in his backseat, when they break, hes gonna be on the side of the road for about 30-45 minutes but its a lot better than a few hours.

well, the covers protect from the engine bay heat getting directly to the belt, and from the radiator heat soak directly in front of the belt

I would check the idler bearings for smooth rolling.

What kind of belts are you using?

I know a belt is rubber. Storing a tire in plastic helps it from cracking due to exposure to the ozone in the air, I think the belt cover protects the rubber on the belt too.

stirring a can of worms i bet.

Belts used are cheap ones from an on-line retailer. They might have been Conti? All they carry now is Mitsuboshi (yes, spelled correctly), we will see how they work.

The idlers and tensioners are good. They were replaced 50,000 miles ago, and still turn smoothly.

The belts are completely gone. Cracked and brittle.

I think I will be changing these belts at 80,000 km/50,000 miles from now on.

But I don't think this car will last that long...