Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I have a straight stock 1999 Subaru Outback Legacy. I want to lift it and put some bigger tires on it. I live in South Florida so its mainly mud but I dont want to kill my mpgs cause its my commuter. Oh yea and Im on a pretty tight budget so the cheapest but most effective way is appreciated

On my 99 OBW, I put on 215X70X15 size tires. OEMs were size 205X70X15. This raises the Outback almost an inch to make it look more aggressive. Still looks and drives as before, but has a bit more ground clearance. The larger tires do not rub on the car. It is cost effective, if you need new tires, and does not change mpg.

I need a little more than an inch though you didnt touch the suspension??

No, never touched the suspension. Size 215X75X15 might fit for just a little more height, but may rub on the car. Others may be able to tell you from their experience, if this size tire rubs or not.

I have read on this forum of substituting struts from perhaps a Forester, but don't remember the details. Search the archives on this forum for information.

I am pretty sure that swapping forester struts in will give you atleast another inch. On the imprezas you get 2 inches. You can do a simple lift via spacers. You may need to put in the trailing arms off the forester to set your wheels back to where they are supposed to be. Forester trailing arms are a bit longer if I remember correctly. There has been a lift Outback wagon at a body shop near me, I'll try to take a look at it.

All depends on the resources you have at hand. I suggest trying to find a local forum and seeing if anyone has parts so you don't have to deal with shipping. If you can spend a few hundred on struts and trailing arms I suggest going with KYB GR2s for struts and just a stock trailing arm. They are a good replacement that handle a lot of abuse. I know people who autox and rallyx on them.

Otherwise you can look to see if anyone has their stock forester struts they pulled off that are still good. As far as spacers to give you some lift I have no idea. If you want a properly lifted car with suspension that is garunteed to last a while go new and budget for $600 for just the struts and trailing arms.

Remember that lift = wear on some parts, ie wheel bearings and cv joints.

Here is a tutorial: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50268

Edited by CoupedUpSubie
info added

Forester strut assemblies, and Outback aren't very different. Forester springs may give you a little, but no where near an inch. There is some info about lifting Subarus in the offroad FAQ section. If you want to lift it, then you can add strut spacers, and bigger tires. If you want even bigger, you can use spacers for the entire driveline, but it's quite a bit more work. Also All the EJ trailing arms are the same, it's the brackets that are different, and Forester and Outback have the same brackets, so no change there. If you do spacers, you may want to add spacers to those as well.

I am pretty sure that swapping forester struts in will give you atleast another inch. On the imprezas you get 2 inches. You can do a simple lift via spacers. You may need to put in the trailing arms off the forester to set your wheels back to where they are supposed to be. Forester trailing arms are a bit longer if I remember correctly. There has been a lift Outback wagon at a body shop near me, I'll try to take a look at it.

Forrester struts are not going to lift an 99 outback. The struts are the same height.

Also, Forrester trailing arms are not longer.

It's the trailing arm "bracket" that is different. It drops the mount point lower on Forresters and Outbacks vs. standard Legacy or Imp. Not applicable to the Outback.

If you want a lift, Use spacers for strut tops(1"), King Springs(1-1/2"), or a full 3" or bigger lift kit.