Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lug Nuts!

according to Bently's, lug nuts should be 59 to 70 ft lbs and axel nut should be 144 ft lbs on ea81s
These are the correct numbers. Funny how there should be so much mis-information out there. I use 80 ft-lbs on my Impreza since I have a 75 ft-lb torque stick and then I tweak them to 80 with the torque wrench.

I have been surprised the number of cars i have bought that someone obviosly has no idea they were WAY overtorqeing them.

Some cars, people who put the wheels on obviously should not be doing wheel installs were. You shouldn't have to use cheater bars or stomp on the lug method to bust them loose, that is WAY too tight.

The torque value is there for many reasons,

1. to prevent hub distortion. that keeps bearings happy.

2. The average little old lady if got a flat tire would have no chance in cold hell to change a tire in the middle of nowhere if they are torgued above the spec number.

3. Stripped threads on the lug nuts

4 stripped threads on the stud

5 .broken off wheel studs,

and while we are on the topic, you should never put oil or antiseize on the lugnut studs.

If the threads are rusty, you use a tap/die chase them to clean, but never apply any product

You can, and should apply a little ring of antisievze around the wheel round center of aluminum wheels where they center around the hub, so they will not be frozen stuck in a salty rust prone area.

Edited by bheinen74

These are the correct numbers. Funny how there should be so much mis-information out there. I use 80 ft-lbs on my Impreza since I have a 75 ft-lb torque stick and then I tweak them to 80 with the torque wrench.

My Baja is torqued to 89 pounds of torque (I had been doing 90 and Costco spec'ed 89 when they did my tires so thats where I do it now) However its not a GL.

I stomp mine on and stomp em' off. Never had an issue.

I literally stand on the wrench for a moment when tightening them up good and snug.

However...I'm a little guy. I only weigh 145 pounds, so I'm guessing mine are torqued somewhere in the 90-100 lb range.

Sucks you stripped them though. Just go get some new studs and new lugs. Car probably will have needed them by now anyway.

I have been surprised the number of cars i have bought that someone obviosly has no idea they were WAY overtorqeing them.

Some cars, people who put the wheels on obviously should not be doing wheel installs were. You shouldn't have to use cheater bars or stomp on the lug method to bust them loose, that is WAY too tight.

The torque value is there for many reasons,

1. to prevent hub distortion. that keeps bearings happy.

2. The average little old lady if got a flat tire would have no chance in cold hell to change a tire in the middle of nowhere if they are torgued above the spec number.

3. Stripped threads on the lug nuts

4 stripped threads on the stud

5 .broken off wheel studs,

and while we are on the topic, you should never put oil or antiseize on the lugnut studs.

If the threads are rusty, you use a tap/die chase them to clean, but never apply any product

You can, and should apply a little ring of antisievze around the wheel round center of aluminum wheels where they center around the hub, so they will not be frozen stuck in a salty rust prone area.

While we're on the topic here. Why do you suggest not to put anti-seize on the lug nuts?

This is the skinny from Tirerack.com

Proper installation requires that the wheel lug torque be set to the recommended specification for your vehicle. These torque specifications can be found in your vehicle's owner's manual, shop repair manual or obtained from your vehicle dealer.

Wheel lug torque specifications are for clean threads that are free of dirt, grit, etc. If applying an anti-seize lubricant, it is important to note it can be applied only on the threads of nuts or bolts. The lubricant must not be used on either seat of the hardware of the wheel. With the seat being the main point of friction where torque is measured, extreme caution must be used if an anti-seize lubricant is applied to the threads as excess can either drip or be pushed onto the lug seat resulting in inaccurate torque values.

A thread chaser or tap should be used to remove any burrs or obstructions of the threads allowing the lug hardware to be turned by hand until it meets the wheel's lug seat. Once lugs are snugged down, finish tightening them with an accurate torque wrench. Use the appropriate crisscross sequence (shown below) for the number of wheel lugs on your vehicle until all have reached their proper torque value. Be careful because if you over-torque a wheel, you can strip a lug nut or hub, stretch or break a stud or bolt, and cause the wheel, brake rotor and/or brake drum to distort.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=107