Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Beat's Seattle Storm

True. Yesterday we needed to get to downtown Seattle from Bothell. Uneventful trip for us in our Impreza with the Hankook iPike snow tires. But we saw three spinouts along the way (one just in front of us as we were approaching the car). No problem with any of Seattle's infamous hills. Climbed up Madison Ave. toward the radio antenna towers without issue even when stopping for the traffic light 2/3rds of the way up. Never an inkling of loss of control. The amazing thing is that there were so many cars out there without real snow tires. Delightful that there was so little traffic.

I'm very fond of Subaru's AWD system, but I think propper tires are really more important. A quality SET OF FOUR Hakki's or Hankook iPikes will do more to help the traction situation on any car out there. I know other quality snow tires are out there but these are the only ones I have personal experience with. I drove through a worse storm than this with my Mazda RWD pickup with four Hakki's and was passing 4WD cars stuck in the snow or spun out on hills. I'm also partial to studless snow tires since most of our Seattle winters are rainy rather than snowy.

I'm very fond of Subaru's AWD system, but I think propper tires are really more important. A quality SET OF FOUR Hakki's or Hankook iPikes will do more to help the traction situation on any car out there. I know other quality snow tires are out there but these are the only ones I have personal experience with. I drove through a worse storm than this with my Mazda RWD pickup with four Hakki's and was passing 4WD cars stuck in the snow or spun out on hills. I'm also partial to studless snow tires since most of our Seattle winters are rainy rather than snowy.

My Honda Odyssey has Toyo studless snows. They worked really well for a front wheel drive but the Subaru climbed the hills way better with only normal tires.

Put a friend in the drivers seat of my leggo in an open parking lot, after 10 minutes of drifting and doughnuts he's ready to sell his corolla and buy a subie

:lol::lol::lol:

Drifting! That the best! Also, I have studded snow tires on both the impreza & odyssey! Priceless when the rain freezes, or when traffic packs snow & becomes solid.