Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Donor cars for EJ into 82 Brat

Responsible Jon

My current truck is a 1982 Brat with EA81 and 4 speed D/R. I want a more modern power plant in my Brat, so I've decided to do an EJ swap. Fuel economy and power are about equal in my mind, I'm not trying to get crazy on power. I don't off-road the truck, so I don't need 4wd lo, but I wouldn't mind keeping a D/R transmission if it were a reasonable option. Since I'm in the midwest, where older subarus are not plentiful, it seems like a full modern drivetrain is the way to go, a 1.8 or a 2.2 ej with the manual transmission and AWD. Here are my questions! I've done some research, but haven't found a clear answer yet, thanks for your help.

What parts are in involved in converting to AWD from my current setup?

Would I need to swap my rear axle, and how involved is that?

What is the gear ratio on my Brat? I remember reading the 82 had a lower ratio than most.

What year and model would make a good donor car?

I'm willing to spend about $2500 total on this conversion, is this a reasonable budget?

Thanks for your help. I have a good space to work, plenty of tools and fab skills, so I don't think any of the swap is beyond my abilities, but I'm trying to draw from the vast subaru knowledge base here! Thanks again!

What parts are in involved in converting to AWD from my current setup?

Custom driveline, transmission mount, and inner axle cups for a cable-clutch transmission. A lot more work for a hydro.

Would I need to swap my rear axle, and how involved is that?

Depends on the tranny you use. Just a matter of changing the rear diff.

What is the gear ratio on my Brat? I remember reading the 82 had a lower ratio than most.

3.9 - the lower 3rd and 4th gear are in the transmission not the final drive.

What year and model would make a good donor car?

95 or 96 Legacy with a 2.2 and a 5 speed.

90 to 94 Legacy also works but the OBD-I wiring is less desireable.

I'm willing to spend about $2500 total on this conversion, is this a reasonable budget?

Depends on what you pay for the donor car. Probably could get away with it if you are shrewd with your money and patient about aquiring parts.

GD