Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru EJ22, bad misfire, now won't start

The old bolts were too long. With the new idlers, the bolt head surface is deeper into the hole. Coulda just used a few washers but that would have probably made things weaker, or at least more likely for the bolt to come loose.

I remember reading something about this issue in other posts, but wasn't counting on it being such an odd bolt to find. The tensioner pulley came with a new bolt, they should have thrown in bolts for the idlers, especially when I'm spending $200 on a supposedly comprehensive kit. The kit really should have come with a new hydraulic tensioner adjuster, too, cause I don't want to have to tear into this again.

New water pump and gasket, came with the kit. Didn't put any RTV on the gasket as there was none on the old one. Not seeing any leaks. I'll try to get a video of it, just sounds like a loud whirring. Could be the belt or an idler I suppose.

SOme years 2.2's have very thin lets say 2" O rings. One goes behind cam sensor (drivers front on head), the other pass read covered by a plate that looks a little like a boomerang.

I doubt they sent you a little oil pump O ring.

And I'd assume you can tell a crank and cam seal from an Oring?

Yeah, I got the cam and crank seals installed fine. One thing I thought odd, though, was that the seals were black, and the previous ones were brown. I've heard that the black seals were an early design that had problems, and the brown ones were the newer design.

Each of the cam seals came with an o-ring about 2 inches in diameter, and the one that came with the crank seal was maybe 3/5 inch diameter. I looked all over for where an old o-ring might be or have been but didn't see anything.

I've only see the black seals leak myself. Never the brown ones.

If you have a 95, I believe 96, maybe 97 2.2 then they take the 2" very thin Orings where I said.

The small one that came with the crank seal was for the oil pump.

I'll have to look back and see where you got your kit.

Last I knew theimportexperts seemed to be shipping what looked like good brown seals.

Perhaps the black ones are the new design but just a different color?

I bought OEM crank & cam seals from Subaru when I replaced mine a few years ago. They were black.

IIRC the "old" brown seals were supplanted by the "new improved" black ones. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I bought OEM crank & cam seals from Subaru when I replaced mine a few years ago. They were black.

IIRC the "old" brown seals were supplanted by the "new improved" black ones. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

You could be correct. I recall seeing something like this discussed recently.

Kinda stupid thought. The old "good" ones were easily identifiable.

If the CRAP looks the same as OEM that kinda bites.

And to the OP it's been so long since I did an early 90's I can't even recall if they have the 2" Orings on the heads.

I'm not too worried about it. I looked everywhere around the cams and the crank and didn't see any place they might go. And if there are old o-rings somewhere, then they're still there. As long as there's no oil leaks, that's all that really matters.

I am curious, though, there's a way to get to the oil pump through the crank?

I looked everywhere around the cams and the crank and didn't see any place they might go.

If you're that far into the engine it's a good idea to replace those o-rings. They get mashed into a flat sided triangular shape and lose their sealing ability.

One is on the passengr side back (firewall) end of the head--there's a cap with wings that you unbolt.

The other one is on the front of the driver's side head, behind the cam sprocket and the inner plastic timing belt cover. Here's an excellent writeup by a member (search is my friend):

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61591&highlight=o-ring

Good luck.