Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Air filter question on EJ swap

man on the moon

I'm not doing a swap at the moment, but I do have a question. I was poking around in the junkyard tonight and noticed that the turbo EA air intake bears a strong resemblance to the 2.2 intake, at least on the earlier 2.2s. I think the size is different, but not so much it couldn't be modified to fit--by eyeballing it, anyway. Has anyone ever tried to mix and match parts to see if they can swap over with just a little drilling, and maybe some rtv silicone?

GD: My oil pan gasket is square...but also not turbo, so I'm not sure if that's what you're looking at?

I think I found the bit Numbchux was referring to: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=521625&postcount=11

Took a bit but the advanced search functions help if you know a name or a date :D. Speaking of dates, how do you remember who did what from five years ago? I can hardly remember last week!

The entire lower gasket set is for an EJ. :lol:

Oil pan, front/rear mains, block o-rings, water pump, and especially that (paper :rolleyes:) oil pump gasket....

Upper kit of an EA82 and lower kit for an EJ22. :dead:

The really sad part is that Subaru doesn't use gaskets for anything but the water pump on the EJ's and those are ribbed metal. I don't use any of them except the o-rings. Entirely superfluous.

GD

Speaking of dates, how do you remember who did what from five years ago? I can hardly remember last week!

Because Baccaruda was one of the few guys who had done and documented the EJ swap when I did the write-up. And I did so much reading and studying when I was doing that, it's pretty deeply ingrained.

In fact, that picture and paragraph are in the write-up.