Ultimate Subaru Message Board

floor pan replacement

So I thought a had a rust free brat untill I pulled up the carpet and the floor on the drivers side and about a quarter of the way up the transmission hump is rotted all the way through. Does any one have the same problem with how they fixed it? I can weld but not really sure how to make the transmission hump. Any pics would be great. I'm going to use aftermarket seats so I have to build brackets already, but is the factory piece that runs from door jam to door jam that the front of the seat bolt to structural? or can i cut it out cause its pretty rusted as well.

welcome to the world of gen1 subarus lol

you have the same problem as pretty much all of us on here,theres a few threads ive seen including mine

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=127261

in which you can see ive had to replace both front floorpans,the bit the seat bolts onto is not "structural" as such and can be removed by drilling out the spotwelds and some light encouragement with a chisel ;)

Would also be worth checking up under the dash in the corner where the bulkhead meets A pillar/scuttle panel too as if its gone that bad on the floor it may well have gone there and thats a *************** to replace but you might be lucky.

Good luck

Edited by petey

Yeh thats it,you will need to remove the little parcel shelf from under the glovebox and peel back a bit of the sound deadening but otherwise its fairly easy to see providing your fairly flexible! lol :grin:

If youve got the seats out youve got a bit more room to get under there anyway ;)