Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I replaced both front calipers, each side a few months apart, on my 2000 Outback last winter because they siezed up. I had noticed the brakes felt a little odd after that. Well I think I just figured out why.....

On the front left I must've gotten a 2001 caliper, because the pads don't quite completely contact the rotor, and there's an extra 1/4"+ gap between the rotor and caliper bracket. Somehow I did not notice this when I put the caliper on. Looks like 2000 had 10.7" rotors, while 2001 had 11.5".

It seems to vary with build date, some info I could find looked like after about 07/00 had the 11.5" rotors.

These were new pads I put on too, now that set is ruined because it is worn a groove into the pads because the rotor wasn't large enough to sweep the whole area.

Um, I guess the ROTORS and BRACKETS are both the right size?

either way, that sucks.

The rotor is too small for the left bracket. It has 10.7" rotors on it, but through measuring, the left caliper/bracket could fit an 11.5" rotor, which is what it looks like late 2000 on up had.

I was thinking about these rotors......

trinet-zero.jpg

I think the zero is for zero braking.

I think what happened was when I got the left caliper, he asked me what size rotors I had, and I said 11" (I measured them at 10.9" so I rounded up). So I think he gave me the caliper for 11.5" rotors, instead of for the 10.7".