Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.5 to 2.2 in 2000 OB NY state

I'm looking into doing the swap... i have little money but i have tools and a garage, it seeems to make sense to do this swap. my question: has anyone done this swap in NY state and been able to pass inspection?

or another state that does OBD inspections?

if the cel isn't on i should be able to pass inspection right?

...thanks :banghead:

Hm...main issue there might be getting a 2.2L to work....because the 2000 Outback engine uses the MAP/speed density method for airflow measurement...whereas the 2.2L, at least from the 90's used the MAF. But even if getting the wiring harness and ECU, I don't know that would easily interface to the 4EAT phase II TCU....but other than that, I would imagine if it works, and the CEL is off, and all the I/M's go to ready (so do not use a 96 ECU, and the charcoal canister and purge etc solenoids are required), then it should pass NY basic emissions inspection. If you have to do a dyno run or tail pipe sniff test those can be tricky.

If yours is just dripping coolant out the HG's...they can run like that for a long time if you keep the radiator full. Sometimes the coolant additive can help at least slow down that drip.

Edited by porcupine73

2000 OB overheated badly, has no compression in one cylinder, won't run at all, from what I've read '95 - 98 2.2s will bolt and plug right in...so if anyone has done this swap and passed NY or similar inspection ... please chime in.. thanks

2000 OB overheated badly, has no compression in one cylinder, won't run at all, from what I've read '95 - 98 2.2s will bolt and plug right in...so if anyone has done this swap and passed NY or similar inspection ... please chime in.. thanks

A 95-98 2.2 will NOT bolt in, and plug and play in your car, as the 2000 Subie cars went to a different engine management system, as porcupine 73 described to you. Your best bet is to find a 2.5 phase 2 motor from a model year beginning 2000-2005. I am not sure about the 2005 model year. Others here will clarify the year spread, that will work in your car. Check wrecking yards where you live for prices and availability. Engines from Legacy, Impreza, and Forester will work.

the 99 legacy ej22 will / should swap in since it is a phase 2 engine like the one you have. and the 99 - 00 impreza ej22 should swap in just fine as well. but other than those engines (actually the same engine) you will have to find an ej25 from 00 - 04.

99 was the last year the 96 - 98 ej22 was swappable for the ej25. starting in '00 ('99 for the forester ej25s and all ej22s) all ej engines are phase 2 and will not swap with phase 1 engines.

note: the blocks will swap from phase 1 to phase 2 but you have to use the original heads and intake.

Edited by johnceggleston

the 99 legacy ej22 will / should swap in since it is a phase 2 engine like the one you have. and the 99 - 00 impreza ej22 should swap in just fine as well. but other than those engines (actually the same engine) you will have to find an ej25 from 00 - 04................thank you... that is what i was looking for... I'm off to find an engine