Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 OBW, squeaky, creaky, front end corner

My 99 OBW has developed a squeaky, squeaky, creaky sound coming from the passanger front corner, when the car is being driven. It is a sound that makes you think something just needs oiled. The sound is most noticeable, and loudest at slow speed, especially when braking. With power on, the sound is gone, coast and the sound is back. If slightly turning L or R, while coasting, the noise is gone. The noise is definitely a noise associated with wheel rotation. The front strut is not the source of the noise. Pressing down on the fender does not cause the noise.

A buddy and I spent the evening trying to source the problem. We pulled the right front brake off, and could find nothing wrong. What we did notice is some up and down movement of the road wheel, when the front end is jacked up in the air. The rotor moves with the movement of the road wheel. Ball joint and tie rod seem good and tight. We suspect a problem with the wheel bearing. I replaced the wheel bearing last summer with a friend's help, using Harbor Freight's version of the Hub Tamer. I suspect we didn't do something right. Maybe we should have worked some more grease into the bearing, but there seemed to be a good amount of grease already in/on the bearing. We did try to tighten the big nut that holds on the wheel bearing, using a socket and a 3 foot bar, but could not tighten the nut any further.

My experience with a bad wheel bearing has always been the rrrrrrrrrrr sound when turning one way or the other. I am hearing none of this sound. So, this seems odd that a wheel bearing would be the source of the squeaky, squeaky, creaky sound.

The car continues to drive just fine with no looseness, or vibration in the steering, or elsewhere.

Any thoughts or advise anyone?? Thanks for any advise.

When it makes the noise, put the car in neutral and turn off the ignition. Coast, see if it still makes noise. Does the noise lessen or increase with wheel rotation?I've never had wheel bearings make any noise other then a roar. Squeeks cornering are usually a bushing. Sway bar, control ARM or the strut cushion. Spray everything in sight with w40 and see if the noise goes away. If it goes away, it will be back in no time and you can spray individual bushings to narrow it down. Also, make sure the tires not rubbing.

I will give the WD-40 "spray everything" approach to see if that quiets the noise. If so, then maybe the wheel bearing is okay.

Brake pads and rotors were replaced last summer. I greased the slides again upon reassembly last night. I carefully looked at every component in the right front brake system, and all seems good. I am confident that the brake is not the problem.

After a long drive, use one of those remote infrared thermometers and measure the temperature of the hub and caliper and rotor. Compare to the other side. If those 3 things are about the same temp. , you know to look somewehere (where?????) else.

But, even when my bearing was making horrific crunching noise, the wheel only moved 2mm or so, ANY movement means there's a problem somewhere.

Don't forget to look at the inner tripod joint.

If you still can't locate the problem, you could swap left-right CV axles and see if the problem changes or follows the axle.

After a long drive, use one of those remote infrared thermometers and measure the temperature of the hub and caliper and rotor. Compare to the other side. If those 3 things are about the same temp. , you know to look somewehere (where?????) else.

But, even when my bearing was making horrific crunching noise, the wheel only moved 2mm or so, ANY movement means there's a problem somewhere.

Don't forget to look at the inner tripod joint.

If you still can't locate the problem, you could swap left-right CV axles and see if the problem changes or follows the axle.

Thanks for the advise........Rooster2, Larry