Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replaced starter today, some thoughts

My starter motor started dying over the summer and I knew it was only a matter of time. I would turn the key and it would sometimes take a second or so until the starter would engage. A few months ago I had to bang on it to engage, but then it was fine. Yesterday morning on my way to school it wouldn't start, so I banged on it. It's been testing as "Failed" with my computerized starter/alternator/battery tester, so I know it wasn't doing well. Knowing I'd be pretty busy this semester and not wanting to be left walking to school I headed over to the Subaru dealer to pick up a new starter.

I got part #23300AA230R1 for $199.96, but then I had a 15% off coupon. I also picked up replacement climate control bulbs as mine are burned out.

I then headed over to my friend's garage to r/r my first ever Subaru starter. I had done plenty of them on other cars, but never on a Subaru. Let me tell you it's not as easy as on other cars! I had to raise and lower the car 3 times in order to get to the various bolts. I started by removing the battery cable and then taking out the long bolt on top. I then raised the car and took off the 14mm nut on the bottom of the starter and also disconnect what appeared to be a computer/electrical connector. The fuel lines were in the way so I had to lower the car in order to pull out the starter, so I lowered the car and pulled out the starter. I put in the new starter and started the thread on the long bolt, and then raised the car to start the nut, then lowered to finish the long bolt and raised it to finish the nut. Plugged back in the connector, lowered it and put on the battery connector again. Plugged back in the battery and turned the key. yay! Put on the starter/alternator/battery scanner and scanned it, and it passed! yay!

So that's what I did today in the late afternoon/early evening. I'll return the old starter for the core charge in the next day or so.

Edited by bstone

My starter motor started dying over the summer and I knew it was only a matter of time. I would turn the key and it would sometimes take a second or so until the starter would engage. A few months ago I had to bang on it to engage, but then it was fine. Yesterday morning on my way to school it wouldn't start, so I banged on it. It's been testing as "Failed" with my computerized starter/alternator/battery tester, so I know it wasn't doing well. Knowing I'd be pretty busy this semester and not wanting to be left walking to school I headed over to the Subaru dealer to pick up a new starter.

I got part #23300AA230R1 for $199.96, but then I had a 15% off coupon. I also picked up replacement climate control bulbs as mine are burned out.

I then headed over to my friend's garage to r/r my first ever Subaru starter. I had done plenty of them on other cars, but never on a Subaru. Let me tell you it's not as easy as on other cars! I had to raise and lower the car 3 times in order to get to the various bolts. I started by removing the battery cable and then taking out the long bolt on top. I then raised the car and took off the 14mm nut on the bottom of the starter and also disconnect what appeared to be a computer/electrical connector. The fuel lines were in the way so I had to lower the car in order to pull out the starter, so I lowered the car and pulled out the starter. I put in the new starter and started the thread on the long bolt, and then raised the car to start the nut, then lowered to finish the long bolt and raised it to finish the nut. Plugged back in the connector, lowered it and put on the battery connector again. Plugged back in the battery and turned the key. yay! Put on the starter/alternator/battery scanner and scanned it, and it passed! yay!

So that's what I did today in the late afternoon/early evening. I'll return the old starter for the core charge in the next day or so.

haven't done many starters (2-3) and that was decades ago - and none on a soob yet.

sounds like a 40 minute job turned into 2 hours with all the back and forth stuff.

Really? Subaru starters are really simple to get at - you do it all from above and it's two bolts and two wires. I've never swapped a starter out and had it take more than 20 minutes.

Could have saved yourself $190 and just replaced the bad contacts. That's all they usually need. Every Subaru ends up needing a set of starter contacts at some point in it's life. My local dealer has them in stock at all times. You just remove the 4 little screws on the back of the solenoid, slide out the plunger, clean it up, and replace the contacts.

You want a fun starter to replace? Try a Toyota Paseo. Or any transverse GM V6.

GD

You get about a 6" extension and a 14mm socket and you position the ratchet handle behind the starter body so you have room to swing it.

Sometimes a ratcheting box wrench or normal box wrench works also. And sometimes you can get it with a stubby 14mm box wrench.... Anyway I've never lifted any Subaru to get at a lower starter nut.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I did this recently on my 2000 4 cyl OBW. I was never able to remove the lower nut from the top no matter how hard I tried. Once I figured out the proper approach from the bottom it was easy. Required about a 12" extension and a wobbly joint, aimed at the nut from above the external filter on the automatic transmission.

I did this recently on my 2000 4 cyl OBW. I was never able to remove the lower nut from the top no matter how hard I tried. Once I figured out the proper approach from the bottom it was easy. Required about a 12" extension and a wobbly joint, aimed at the nut from above the external filter on the automatic transmission.

Removing the airclear box helps alot.

No need at all to get under the car to change a starter.

The air filter box is on the other side of the engine compartment. Do you mean the ducting that goes into the throttle body?

Depends on year and model.

Some it's just ducting, newer models (99+) the air filter itself is located in that duct. Some models (99 leg, 99 Forrester) actually use 2 air filters.....one on the side with MAF attached, then leading into the box behind the throttle body with another airfilter box. These ones are annoying because if the filter in the second box doesn't seat well, you get an unmetered air leak.

Either way, if there is a big boxy unit attached to the back of the throttle body, remove it. 2 bolts and a clamp.

Makes access to the starter way easier.