Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well its time for me to replace my struts on my car im getting tired of hearing the slight clunking sounds when driving over bumps. My question is what are the best ones to use for an OEM ride quality I just need her for a daily driver and am like most of us these days on a budget... So any sudgestions on where to buy all four struts at a good price would be greatly appreciated. And also im kinda unclear on if the impreza struts are for the outback sport. I know I will be using my obs coils on the new struts but are there spesific struts for yhe obs model? I like the higher ride hight the car has because I take it up camping and mountian biking.

Thank you,

Nwsubie

First off, are you SURE it's the struts?

Lots of things in the suspension can make little clunking noises when going over bumps. Ball joints, tie-rod ends, steering rack bushings, sway bar bushings, control arm bushings, loose bolts, wheel bearings have been known to clunk a little as well if they get bad enough.

Second, Yes, Outback Sport models have higher struts so you need to make sure you get them for the OBS model, not for a regular Impreza or WRX.

Broken springs will clunk too.

Edited by Fairtax4me

My parents have ordered the fronts on their 290k mile 06 outback.

62 each for KYB Gr-2.

old ones are DEAD. oil dripping has basically sludged the outer part of the shock from it leaking out. DEAD i say at 290k.

http://www.ajusa.com for about the best price, you can get the part number there, and compare prices at rock auto and at amazon. Rock auto charges for shipping, AJUSA is free ship. Amazon if you have prime is maybe 1 dollar less if you have prime. otherwise http://www.ajusa.com is the best price since shipping is free

most people say tirerack but the prices still do not beat ajusa

again, AJUSA, I get most of my K@N and KYBstuff there, those are the limits i have bought.

ajusa.com has a nice sight, easy to find your parts, it is easy checkout, etc. never an issue.

Edited by bheinen74

The struts are the same through the L, Brighton, and OBS models.

Additional ground clearance was all in the tires.

KYB Excel G (GR-2) parts numbers as follows.

Rears are 334109 and 334110

Fronts (NON ABS) are 334111 and 334112

Fronts (ABS) are 334255 and 334256

Outback struts are different, how do you think they put the bigger tires on there? The spring perch is higher on the outbacks, allowing the taller tires. This is also why anyone who lifts a legacy needs to have outback (or Forrester) struts, or else you would not be able to run larger tires, which would defeat the purpose of a lift. At least this is the case with all the older stuff (pre 2000). It might have changed in the later years, but I highly doubt it.

Not to mention an OBS is usually an impreza, not a legacy. So you would definitely need to get the outback struts as regular impreza struts will surely be shorter.

Edited by eulogious

OK well thank you all for the help I will defiantly make sure I'm buying the kyb's stated to be for the OBS wagon.

And Fairtax4me I'm pretty sure its a strut they appear to be the original ones and it now is 14 years old with 136k on them. I had an 87 GL that was making a noise that sounded just like the ones my impreza is making now after swapping the struts it rode better and did not thud over bumps any more. I jacked up the car and tried to wiggle the front tires both side to side and the top of the tires all seems to be fine there and I have new wheel bearing so I'm sure those are fine.

Outback struts are different, how do you think they put the bigger tires on there? The spring perch is higher on the outbacks, allowing the taller tires. This is also why anyone who lifts a legacy needs to have outback (or Forrester) struts, or else you would not be able to run larger tires, which would defeat the purpose of a lift. At least this is the case with all the older stuff (pre 2000). It might have changed in the later years, but I highly doubt it.

Not to mention an OBS is usually an impreza, not a legacy. So you would definitely need to get the outback struts as regular impreza struts will surely be shorter.

I haven't found anywhere that differentiates OBS to standard Impreza model struts. The ground clearance difference between the L and OBS was a little over 1/2 an inch which is about the difference between a 190/60 (L stock) and a 205/60 (OBS stock)

Maybe the OEM is different, but we'd been comparing less than 1/4" which is going to be negligible. Not to mention you can get 205/65s under an OBS with worn springs/worn AM struts (Ask me how I know)

I would like to say, that if someone can find a GF OBS specific rear strut, to edumacate me before I order the 334109/110s on Friday. I would rather be wrong than put a wrong part on my car.

Subaru parts interchange at opposedforces.com says outback sport struts have different part numbers than other impreza models.

Subarupartsforyou.com says Outback and RS models share the same struts, all others are different.

Well, I'll be doing mine next Friday with the KYBs listed for all Imprezas for the model year. I'll take a bunch of measurements to see how much different there is with stock rears and AM.

Well, I'll be doing mine next Friday with the KYBs listed for all Imprezas for the model year. I'll take a bunch of measurements to see how much different there is with stock rears and AM.

Please let us know what you find out. I'm interested to know for sure as well. The consensus from what I've read is that the struts are taller on both Legacy and Impreza Outback models. But if a Subaru dealer website has the same part listed for the "raised" OBS model, and the sportier RS model, then I suspect there isn't that much difference between these and any other Impreza model strut.

Dealer part numbers change all the time. There could be 5 parts that are the exact same except for a screw or clip in a slightly different place, but they will all have different numbers. Just because the number is different, doesn't mean the part is so vastly dissimilar that it won't fit and work just the same as the listed part.

OEM struts and the 334109/110 KYB struts are the same; 1997 OBS. I didn't write down the measurements, but from the bottom to the spring seat, spring seat to the top of the stanction, and overall heights were the same.

I think the OBS springs are either taller or stiffer than L/Brighton. I was able to just put my weight into the tophats to seat the top nut with the STi springs in place.

Well thats good to know for future refrence. I was out looking at my car today and noticed both cv axles had torn boots with very little grease left in them. I have bad luck buying cars I guess, I belive the last four cars I bought I had to do front axles on shortly after buying them. But oh well shouldnt be to hard I have done quite afew diffrent cars now. but im assuming the thuding I get hiting bumps is just the axles but I guess I will find out.