Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subwoofers for wagons question

Trying decide on the low-end for my low-buck sound system in my '88 EA82 D/R Wagon. Having never had anything other than sedans or coupes, I have no idea what works better with all the open space in the wagon. So, questions:

-Ported or Sealed enclosures?

-single 12" or twin 10"?

All I'll be running aside from the sub(s) is a decent pair of 6.5" components in the front powered from a 2ch amp, and a Sony mechless head (like I said, low-buck and simple). I listen mostly to dub, drum and bass, other electronica, and occasionally 80's throwback music, and I'm not trying to rattle anyone elses ears besides my own, in the car, with the windows up :)

I've got a type r 10 with a 1000 watt amp the problem isn't the tpe of the stereo or sub it's the stock Subaru charging system they just can't handle the draw from a large amp. So with that in mind you should look into the maxima alternator upgrade its pretty simple and there a few write ups about it

It really depends on how you like your sub to sound.. IMO a single decent rather than two budget subs is probably going to be better. depending on taste what is low budget for you $100 or less? Do you like the bottom to drop out and go really low or are you happy with what you hear at the local audio shop. For simplicity I would go sealed but to compensate you may want something 12" or larger to help it out.

This in a pair would do you right for a sealed enclosure

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-8144-ref-tm122-12-tidal-audio-subwoofer-dual-2-ohm-oem-by-image-dynamics.aspx

This would be better as a single sub in a sealed enclosure ( have the 15" version and one is enough... I was only using about 300 watts) and it uses a really small enclosure

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-3415-rwe-302-mb-quart-12-1000-watt-reference-series-subwoofer.aspx

Mike

Edit you might also look into a pair of JL Audio 10W0 they will need about 1.5cubes for both will be plenty loud and enough bass for your musical application. Those are on sale on the above website

Edited by Mykeys Toy

I've got a type r 10 with a 1000 watt amp the problem isn't the tpe of the stereo or sub it's the stock Subaru charging system they just can't handle the draw from a large amp. So with that in mind you should look into the maxima alternator upgrade its pretty simple and there a few write ups about it

You are right but a simple wiring upgrade from the alt to the battery makes a huge difference.. I have done it and I decided I really didnt need the extra power until I went to bigger amps. Like 1200 just to the subs and another 300 for the highs