Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2004 Outback front hub & bearings removal question

by "hub" do you mean knuckle assembly or the hub (which is simply pressed into the knuckle and not bolted on)?

you have the axle removed?

if you mean the knuckle assembly - do you have the strut unbolted?

there's a 12 or 14mm pinch bolt on the underside of the knuckle. the knuckle is only attached via the axle, strut, and ball joint on the control arm - 3 fixed and obvious points on a very small part. do you have all of those removed? either a bolt is still in or another common issue is the ball joint is seized up in the knuckle and control arm.

if you have the pinch bolt removed - then place a chisel in the split on the back of the hub and lightly tap it to "spread" the ball joint retaining portion of the knuckle apart and allow it to slide out. honestly i don't even mess around with them any more - if i remove the knuckle i'm just buying a new ball joint and using a pickle fork. with the rust we have up here a pickle fork is a necessity for this job, otherwise they don't really come out of the control arm or knuckle.

a picture might help if you're still stuck. but i'm guessing that ball joint is seized?

Edited by grossgary

^^ Hi Dave, you mean with that tool you can extract the ball joint without doing anything with the pinch bolt? That sounds very useful if that is the case! :banana:

NY must be spending all the extra tax money on road salt. :dead:

Yes, you remove the lower castle nut and press the ball joint tapered stud out of the lower control arm- the ball-joint stays with the knuckle.

I was afraid it wouldn't be up to the job, but it works great (so far). Good grease on the threads and where the bolt hits the pressing-arm help a lot.

Dave