Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mosquito Pass, Colorado

nipper

That jeep fell off and the driver was crushed. But he got a nice photo op before he died being an idiot.

his family never got the insurance check for death insurance. That was due to the photo posting of him driving offroad on the edge of a cliff. they said they couldnt cover own stupidity or brain conditions making one do that.

They later bought a Subaru and still drive it.

err something like that.

Even if I had a jeep Rubicon I wouldnt do it ....yet. I would need more exp With not s*****g myself on steep roads that could kill me that arent paved :P

I dont think there is an up on that side, I thinkit may only be down, well down two ways...

Even if I had a jeep Rubicon I wouldnt do it ....yet. I would need more exp With not s*****g myself on steep roads that could kill me that arent paved :P

I dont think there is an up on that side, I thinkit may only be down, well down two ways...

the fun way and the short fun way.

I spend a lot of time on the 4x4 roads in my lifted 87 GL in Colorado. I find that clearance helps, but the main attribute that helps on these rough passes is low end gearing. There is some stuff that my dual range transmission is not low enough for with the torque of an EA82, even a good run at an obstacle isn't enough oomph. Speed is limited to crawling due to how rough the terrain is. Also, you'll burn your breaks up if you don't have low range when descending these big mountains.

Another thing is that at those altitudes, your engine doesn't have nearly the power that you're used to. I *feel* like you loose somewhere around 40% at 10000+ ft elevation. Heck my 1998 Legacy Outback is like a rocket ship at sea level, pulling a loaded vehicle up steep hills in 5th gear. It can't even pull it's own empty weight up some of these paved CO highways without a downshift when driving around 8000.

Finally, tires. The rocks out here are sharp. If your tires aren't fairly new and the rubber isn't soft so it conforms to pokey things well, you will probably get a flat. I've had it happen with even new A/T tires on some trails. Side wall cuts are common out here. There are some passes that aren't so rocky, but are just as beautiful if tires are a limiting factor.

In conclusion, since I have a legacy outback like yours (but with 2" lift and Yokahama Geolander tires) I thought it would make the point that I won't take it on any of these 4x4 passes - mainly due to gearing and clearance. I hope this helps and gives you a sense of what kind of vehicle to choose for this trip so that you have a good time and don't get into trouble. I see people in sticky situations every summer and wouldn't want it to happen to you. September is a great time of year. You can see the aspen change color at altitude.

Let me know if you come near Durango, CO. Maybe we can catch a few back roads down here.

P.S. You only go down Black Bear :)

Edited by kanurys

I have an auto with more torque (multilier) converter so that would help. I have taken him climbing before. Odd we have the same tires :)

I have a tranny cooler will have a front skid plate and a rear one soon. So the roof basket and the 2nd spare would go on the car.i have no problem airing down, but how do you air backup with a pissant aircompressor that takes an hour for one tire :)

Nice setup. Mine's a stick. I hear ya on the airing down. My project list for the 87 GL includes a York compressor on the Phase II EJ22. I can't stand those little 12v well, yeah, pissant inflators.

Oh yeah, you need a skid plate too. I can't tell you how many times I've relied on mine.

"Honey, what was that clunk?"

"Nothing."

Yeah, the auto might just do it on the way up the trail.

I ran this trail this summer in a 2000 F350 CC Long bed 4x4 on 35" tires with a 6x6 polaris ranger in the bed. I got a flat that was unrepairable and was scared to death i was going to get another flat. If you run it and take 3 spare tires or more. Its very rocky on the Alma side and the steepest part is towards the beginning on the Alma side where they bypassed the original train grade. Leadville side is cake. I took Weston Pass back to the South Park are-it is South of Mosquito Pass very dooable in your Sub. I came across a truck on weston pass that got a flat and had no spare. Colorado trails eat tires. We did Boreas Pass in a CRV, this is just north of Fairplay. La Salle Pass is fun and easy-about 30 min east from Fairplay, you can take a road up to the top of Badger Mtn.

Near Denver-Rollins pass is easy but does not go all the way to Winterpark, Apex road/Kingson Peak is gougeous and Sub friendly.

Edited by bigo1966

You're right about Colorado trails eating tires. I'd also venture to say that more of the trails than not are more soob friendly than f350 friendly. I can get through most rails without touching reverse. There is certainly a bit of common sense that plays into your survival too. These roads. I've seen more bigger rigs stuck than little ones and even little ones stuck with poor decision making. The risk is there for even seasoned Colorado 4x4-ers. If you go prepared, you'll be better off than most up here.

I always feel it is an IF, as long as i have been on the planet I have been hearing threats of five six seven ten dolar gas and a killer hurricane (NYC). Ss being a NYer I am skeptic, or an optamist or a bit of both :)

Edited by nipper