Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tech: STi/WRX (GD chassis) springs on GC chassis/struts.

I had to take some snippets of knowledge from RS25, Nasioc, and Legacy BBS to figure out what I was doing, hopefully this little guide will help educate.

After some studying on spring rates and ride heights, I determined that I wanted to run STi springs on my OBS. It will only lower the height by a supposed 1.25-1.5", and offer a stiffer feel in the corners while maintaining driving comfort. Anyone who's ridden in a "lowered' car knows that you begin to sacrifice your lower back. I may only be 24, but I have no desires to replicate the ride of the 69 bug I built...

callook.jpg

What you need in order to be able to do the swap:

Front and rear GC/GF chassis struts

Front and rear GD chassis springs

Rear pre facelift BC/BF top hats.

Saggy butt spacers.

The pre facelift top hats are the most important details to stress. They're the only top hats that have the proper diameter to hold the top of the tapered GD spring, as well as the proper stud spacing to fit a GC/GF chassis. You can use the GD top hats, however this would result in having to notch the holes in the body as the stud spacing is different.

I won't go into the nuts and bolts of swapping springs as it's the same as with any other spring swaps. Just make sure to replace all rubber pads and definitely do not forget to torque the top nut once everything is mounted back up.

One thing to note, is that I mentioned the saggy butt spacers. I can't say for sure whether they will be needed for your particular application, however I purchased 3/8" spacers for the rear to offset the extra weight of the wagon.

http://www.paranoidfabrications.com/shop/subaru-impreza-gc8-hdpe-front-spacers-copy/