Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 subaru loyale 4x4 front cam and engine seals.

is it common that the cam seals go out on ea82s? and is it also possible that if only the cam seals were done that it could cause the front crank seal to go out?? it uses a quart every 1200mi. help would be appreciated greatly

It's common for the cam seals to be rock hard from age and heat. And no, new cam seals won't cause the cranik seals to go out.

If it's not burning it, you need a reseal.

Doug

there is a oring behind the cam seal where the housing for cam seal bolts up they crack and then leak change the cam seal and oring at same time i do it as a set 2 cam seals 2 cam orings 1 front crank seal two oilpump orings one oil pump brown seal -this seal is the one that makes lifters tick so is very important to cange this one and the orings on oil pump theese parts cost about 60$ at local subaru dealer

you may have to piece together these parts if your local subie dealer is not helpful. I have good luck with Advance Auto locally. It never ceases to amaze me when they have parts in stock, and they're always willing to order parts. Prices and convenience is hard to argue. For consumables like OIL, FILTERS, BRAKE FLUID, CARB CLEANER, PURPLE STUFF, etc for all my cars and the cars I work on, I end up being a "regular" in my local Advance and get good service, despite the fact that my "day job" is in Health Care.

Felpro's head gasket KIT was something they didn't stock but would order. I've needed water pumps, alternators etc. for various vehicles and they've had them IN stock so often it blows my mind! I also purchase hoses, belts, and brake lines there.. since I also do a lot of "hot rodding" of older cars and access to the parts is important. I sent my wife there with the family hauler when it's battery started to get weak, and even though the 2000 Passat is a "we don't install that one" battery - they still installed it for her..

Prob. depends on the employees at your local store, but one-stop shopping (even if you have to come back later to pick it up) has it's advantages.