goat

good day

l just did the crankshaft/camshaft oil seals

on my 92 loyale

in the proscess removed the non functioning air conditioner

(as well as the timing belt covers)

so much easier to work on now....

any way

l took off the electric fan wich appeared to be attached to the air conditioner system

(the water pump mounted cooling fan is still there of course)

since the electric fan is attached ot the radiator l wanted to make sure that it is only used for the air conditioner and removing it wasnt a problem

also, would wiring it to a switch as an auxiliary coolong fan

be benificial is any way?

thanks

goat

The electric fan is also wired to come on when your engine temp starts to climb, regardless of the a/c status. Mine wouldn't come on until I was flirting with the red zone, so I cut the wire from the in-rad temp sensor (near the fan there) and wired it to a switch in the cabin that I can reach while I'm driving.

Eventually I took the fan out completely because it was making a lot of noise when it turned on, but I don't recommend it. I haven't needed it (yet), but it doesn't mean I won't.

The one to delete Imho is the clutch fan. The clutch is likely junk and they can use up to 10hp.

If you remove the clutch fan, be sure to leave the pulley as it also drives the water pump, which is a slightly important piece! You could probably swap in a second electric fan and wire it to run while the car is on, or wire it to run when the thermostat opens (tap in to the temp sensor) or by a switch...lots of options.

Hey,

To sum this up, what you want to do is remove the clutch fan from the water pump, it's for the AC. If you take the nuts off it comes right off and you just put the nuts/washers back on the studs.

Or you can take the studs out and use bolts. It's a 6mmX1.0 thread and common bolts that work there are all over your car. Oil pan, cam sprockets, the bolts you remove taking the AC parts and lines out of your engine compartment, etc. even the fender bolts are the same thread.

I've done this many times and never needed more than the stock electric fan, and if your car came without AC, the electric fan is all it came with. And it's attatched to the radiator, not the AC parts in any way. Pull the radiator out to get the AC condensor out from in front of it.

And yea, it's not only weight you're losing but parasitic drag on the motor too from the belts/pulleys/compressor/fan clutch.

hth

Doug

The one to delete Imho is the clutch fan. The clutch is likely junk and they can use up to 10hp.

Absolutely Agree.

Electric is the main fan. Leave it. Ditch the WP fan. It robs HP and is annoying - loud and hard to work around.

GD

I Never realized the Loud it Was untill I Removed it... Now the EA82 sounds very Different on Low and Mid RPM's, just like a More Solid Engine, now the Boxer Rumble sound is more Rich and Deep to Hear, because the WP Fan's noise was wrapping it; also the +~- 10Hp gain is awesome for these engines. :D

I Placed a Second electric Fan next to the Stock one, because our Caribbean Climates gets too Hot, the second one is Aftermaket and thin, both runs Great.

Kind Regards.

Odd, my 88 has it too. Maybe they carried it over on XTs?

Probably - likey because of the poly-v belts used on the XT's MPFI layout. The v-belt pulleys went away from that design and just have studs that go through the pulley to the fan clutch hub and the nuts hold both on. 87+ I think are all like that. Cheaper to manufacture - less machine work and fewer parts.

GD

ya'll are awsome

so l put the electric fan back on

but it doesn't seem to turn on

which l assume means the temp sensor is shot

guess l'll have to pull it and test it

also my temp gauge doesn't work

the sender looks all coroded

l tried to clean it to make it make connection

but no dice

suppose l'll have to test it too

till then we are running the clutch fan

by the way how are those supposed to work?

thanks

goat

With an OEM thermostat my EA82's fan rarely came on unless it was at least 80 degrees outside. You can run power directly to the fan to check it operation. The thermosensor acts as a ground, but someone else will have to chime in on how to test it. I believe you can heat it in a pot of water with a thermometer and some test leads to see if it completes the circuit, but don't quote me on that. You can also just replace it for good measure since they're cheap.