Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what is my timing mark in this picture?

I'm trying to set the timing on my 87.5 xt turbo and I'm having a hard time figuring out what I should be lining up here. I know the timing should be set at 20*BTDC, but I was thinking about setting it at around 18 or 19 to be on the safe side, since I've got alot more flow going on and sometimes boost hits about 11lbs.

Flywheel.jpg

Will it make a difference if it's idling @700rpms or 1000rpms?

Is there anything else I should do besides connecting the green connectors during this process?

Aren't XT's a bit different? If EA82's are all the same, why does this one have that set of marks on the front pulley?

Backing it off 2 degrees makes sense if you are going to overboost it. Still no guarantee the engine will survive the process, though.

Automatic cars don't have timing marks on a flex plate. They utilize the front crank pulley as shown.

Theres usually a very small notch in the edge. It looks like you have it there near the 20 mark with the red dots near it.

With the green connectors, it usually idles where its supposed to. Set it, drive it around, and verify its the same. Don't dig too far into it/over think it.

Interesting - The '85 MPFI auto I just worked on has it's timing marks on the flex plate and doesn't have that whole front timing timing index. Well that's certainly strange then..... could it be an automatic *XT* thing?

GD

It's a Spider intake thing. TB blocks clear view of the Flywheel/flexplate.

87+ XT MPFI cars used the timing marks on the front pulley.

I'm trying to set the timing on my 87.5 xt turbo and I'm having a hard time figuring out what I should be lining up here. I know the timing should be set at 20*BTDC, but I was thinking about setting it at around 18 or 19 to be on the safe side, since I've got alot more flow going on and sometimes boost hits about 11lbs.

Will it make a difference if it's idling @700rpms or 1000rpms?

Is there anything else I should do besides connecting the green connectors during this process?

Yes.Use 700 rpm.